• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 partial 12 volt conversion

Gibbser

Not sure how its working or what is going to explode but the PO swapped the distributor and coil to 12 volt but left the generator and starter (24 volt). One battery (12 volt) and it starts (turns over slowly) but runs. The BAT CHG gauge reads about 14 to 16 volts when running (thinking this is going to boil the battery but hasn't so far). I want to take it for a drive further than a loop around the neighborhood but not sure what is going to happen.

Anyone seen this work before? Can I just swap the alternator and leave the starter for now? Reading through the threads on starter swaps sounds like there is not a good solution with the civilian starters without damage to the starter or flywheel.

I am going to re-power this thing in the next year or so, just want to drive it now.

Thanks!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is dicey and hard to give one solid answer. Did they also change the light bulbs? This might tell you how far they took the conversion. Did they put in a civilian distributor? Does the generator have a tag that says it is still 24 volts, or 12? Did it also get converted to 12 volts? 14 volts is about right for a 12 volt battery, 16 volts a tad high. Are you taking that volt reading with a battery checker, or trusting the military gauge in the truck which I at times have found to be unreliable? If the generator is still 24 volts it should show up on a battery/charging system check tool. If the distributor is the only thing on 12 volt and you are getting 24 volts out of the generator I would add another battery in series and install a voltage dropping device readily available on line or at parts stores to drop from 24 volts to 12 volts, wire from it to the distributor. Yes, if the generator is still putting out 24 volts you could have a battery problem, it will heat up and your ignition coil will run hot. Points will burn quickly.