• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Passenger Seat Back?

biggreentruck

I have 2 new original stock - passenger seat backs - and am trying to figure out what vehicle they go to. They were bought many years ago in surplus sale when we were restoring an MB; I think they may be for the M37 - but not sure. They are OD Canvas, horsehair filled, and 1 is still in the wrapper. Despite age - they look brand new. Description on the wrapper reads: 1 cushion seat back 36 1/2 L; old stock G150-01-43615; MFRS no: A5 05 561; Contract DA-20-089 ORD 11796FS; Bostrom MFG Co Miluaukee, Wisconsin. I include 1 picture here of the back. Any information - much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Greensteel37

Nope, that's not an M37 seat back. The correct one hangs from the top and doesn't have those brackets. It's also maybe a foot high and six inches thick and as long as the bottom.

Oldfart

I don't recognize it either. Too thin and too square and mounted differently from any of my M37's. Sorry, knowing what its not does not answer your question of what it does fit.

Mike_L

That stock number points to the G150, AKA: M4 Tractor high speed, 18-Ton Allis-Chalmers. Here is a link to Olive Drab.com on it. Might be the vehicle you are looking for. A search around might get you some better photos of the interior to confirm.

biggreentruck

M4 High Speed Tractor Seatbacks - Mystery Solved

Wow! What a monster!

Thanks Mike L! That is it! Mystery solved. I don't know how you looked up that stock number, but it is much appreciated. I really couldn't figure it out - and no one in my neck of the woods knew either.

Apparently, there were about 5,500 M-4s made from 1943-45 - and I'm betting there are very few around now. They were taken out of US service in 1960 and a lot of the remainder went overseas. I view all US military vehicles from the WWII/Korean era as being in the same family - but this one is really an odd cousin. Depending on the source - it is based on either the drivetrain and tracks of the M2 or M3 light tank.

These 2 seatbacks look and smell like they were made yesterday - perfectly new. Amazing to me that they were made roughly 60 years ago. They were made in the same town that the M4 was made in - which probably makes sense (local supplier).

Thanks Oldfart and Greensteel also for your replies.

Now I just need to get an M4 to go with them...