• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Plowing snow yesterday.

Carter

Last edited:

M37Dodge

Ditto. We got 12" by me. It is amazing how neighbors suddenly like the M37 w/ plow when it comes time to clear the ends of their driveways (repeatedly) after the town trucks plow the street. I took some photos. They look just like yours though as I copied your plow frame setup. :)

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Carter! How did the NDT's do for you while plowing? I've wondered how they do in the snow and while working a plow.
Chad

1stDeuce

So, it looks like that plow uses the truck winch for raising and lowering... I don't know how the M37 winch works, but I thought it was PTO... Isn't that a little slow doing all the shifting to not only run the truck back and forth, but to run the winch in and out between direction changes?? If the winch is electric, it would be faster I suppose... ?? Is that plow period correct, or modern and adapted?? Just curious!!
C

Carter

Yeah, the neighbors also like me and the M when heavy snow causes them to have to do a lot of shoveling and like you said when "it comes time to clear the ends of their driveways", lots of wet and heavy snow and ice to lift its "Hey Carter old buddy can you help me?"

The NDTs are ok for the low speed work I do with all the blade weight on the front end and in 4WD it has plenty of traction, haven't been stuck in 20+ yrs of doing this with that type of tires. Just marginal highway traction though, not the best for that.

The winch is PTO driven and isn't slow at all, I can raise or lower the blade in seconds as the travel is only 12 inches. The truck already had a winch and all I had to do was weld up a plow frame that pin connected to the lifting shackle brackets and use a snatch block and in that way I kept the cost of the rig very low. Is it period correct? No, never saw another before I thought it up and built it but it moves snow and I don't leave it connected when I go to MV rallys with the truck, no snow at local shows.

ctmustang

man what better way to clear your driveway than with a MV. I just take the deuces when it snows and skip the shoveling and plowing. Good that it helps earn its keep!:-D

1stDeuce

Heh heh heh... I like you winch/plow setup. ATV plows use a winch like that, but electric... Button up, button down... ez... Using a PTO winch seems like it would be more involved, that's what I was asking... So plow to a stop, clutch in, shift to N, shift pto to FWD, clutch out to raise plow, clutch in, pto to N, shift to reverse, clutch out to back up... clutch in, shift to N, pto to REV, clutch out to lower plow, clutch in when it hits the ground, pto to N, shift to 1, clutch out to plow forward again... That'd wear me out pretty quickly, but not as fast as shoveling I suppose!! Nice work!
Chris

Carter

Yup, lots of clutch work, instead of money into bank account from pay check, money out of bank account for 24V winch, then more money out for battery and alternator and wiring upgrade, then wife out of her mind because I spent so much on a rig used once every couple of years. It might not be the easiest plow system but the least expensive and keeps the peace at home instead of me out in the dog house.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, lots of clutch work, instead of money into bank account from pay check, money out of bank account for 24V winch, then more money out for battery and alternator and wiring upgrade, then wife out of her mind because I spent so much on a rig used once every couple of years. It might not be the easiest plow system but the least expensive and keeps the peace at home instead of me out in the dog house.
Which in turn also frees up restoration time and money for the red M37 8)

Chad

Carter

You got that right Chad, the red one is in need of money and work being spent on it and not on an electric set-up for a plow rig that maybe sees action once every 3 or 4 years when the snow is to deep for my blower. However I am pleased that someone is so concerned about the amount of time I spend clutching and shifting, it's nice to know someone cares that much about how I spend my time. I wonder what the thoughts are about the time spent sitting in front of the fireplace eating chocolate chip cookies my wife bakes.

Red M37 build: 1952 M37 build pictures from military photos on webshots

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks