• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 PTO Oil Seals Leaking

m3751

The oil seals on my 51 M37 PTO are leaking badly. The PTO unit is the original DH-12530 that was standard on the vehicle. Has anyone had to change these and if so any tips? Also are parts generally available for this?

zak

If the seals are the original they are probably leather and cracked and dried up with age. VPW should have them. pull it off the trans to clean and inspect the shafts. If they are rusted and pitted they need to be fixed( redi-seal) or a new seal is a waste of time. This PTO parts are out there, if it was the Canadian model ..........

m376x6

Yes, parts are available for the models of M37 series PTO's. There were two types used on the US versions. The M37 used a single to the front output type, while maintenance type series used a dual output type. They are identical except for the main output shaft, and the rear output bearing retainer with the shift lever attachment. They used identical bearings and seals. I am currently rebuilding two units, one is the standard and the other is the dual putput. The dual output PTO was very badly rusted and required all new gears and bearings and seals. The shift shaft had rusted in two and the output is badly pitted. I've turned and pressed on my own seal sleeves and am turining two shift shafts for both units from 304 stainless bars. A lot of work but they are in short supply and it gives me a good feeling to bring something back that was that far gone to a serviceable condition. AB Linn has a lot of parts as well as Vintage Power Wagons (VPW) as mentioned above. Memphis Equipment may have a number of parts. One word of caution, on reinstalling the PTO, care must be taken to make sure you have the correct backlash on the cluster and PTO drive gears, this can tear up a transmission pretty quick if you don't get it fairly close. Cones and cups are numbers 09195, 09062, 2631, and 2691. I bought new double lip viton seals from a local bearing house for 4 and 6 dollars apiece. I was patient and found good deals on new bearings and cups on eBay. Good luck.

Regards,
M376X6