• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 pulled from service

fasttruck

We had them in rvn at late as 1972. Went from active duty to reserve components and most of the m 37s and m38a1s were turned in to drmo in 1976-77. Thought they would never sell the last one (like m35s now) but they did eventually for about $200.00. Now they are $3k and up.

FrankUSMC

I think the "US" military took the last ones in 1963 or 1964, the ones that were made up into the late 1960s were made for Canada, and should have had the bigger motor in it (the 251 Dodge motor).
The US military wanted the M37 to be made up into the late 1960s, but, the bean counters found out you could by two M715s for the cost of one M37......we got what we paid for.
For what is worth, I had a soldier send me photos from some army base on the west coast that was still using a M37 for patrols out in the desert. He took the photos in the mid 1990s, but I agree, but the 1970s, M37 were starting to be hard to find in the US military.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

papercu

I always thought they gone early than that. When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in 1971 we had three in the Motor Pool that didn't run and was parked in the far corner, and those were the only ones I ever saw while I was in. Wayne

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was in the 101st Airborne in 73-74.....we still had them in the motor pool......the Gamma Goat and GOERS were still in service also.......I was licensed on the M151 and M35.....no turbo or air shift on the deuce.

M-37Bruce

Service Length 4 The G-741

We still had 'em is service at Bucks Harbor AFS, Bucks Harbor ME. 1971/1972
One was a dedicated snow plow.
We also had Dodge 6-Packs for BX runs to Bangor, ME.

Last edited:

m376x6

The last M37B1 was delivered under a 1968 contract. you can on very rare occassion still find a 1968 US model M37B1 in private hands. The M37 from the experimental models up to the last model off the line in 1968 had the T245(A in B1 series) flat head six cylinder 230 ci engine installed. Although over the years there has been rumors that the military had or did experiments with post delivery trucks using different engines. I've never seen any evidence or pictures. I do believe that the Civilian Power Wagons were eventually equipped with the slant six. I believe Dave Butler discovered what appeared to be one in the middle east. The front cross member had been modified to clear the engines timing gear cover or something to that nature. I don't recall any Canadian versions being made after the intial run in the mid 50's. The Canadian version had the 251 and was equipped with an Acme 4 speed transmission. I think some folks like , I can't think of his name right off, nice fellow, very familiar with Canadian versions, has one or two, perhaps he'll chime in on any Canadian anomalies. I know a lot of local Counties here in Colorado were taking a lot of M37's in from the government during the 1972,73,74 timeframe.

Regards,
M376X6

russcal

...I had a soldier send me photos from some army base on the west coast that was still using a M37 for patrols out in the desert. He took the photos in the mid 1990s, but I agree, but the 1970s, M37 were starting to be hard to find in the US military.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Heya, y'all!

I have a picture somewhere, that shows a MERDC desert camoed M37 at Yuma Proving Ground that was still in service late 1980's / 1990. Not so surprising considering how long .45 cal M1911A1's, M35 series, and many other pieces remain in service.

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

XM152

KaiserM109

The M715 (five quarter ton) and its variants like the M725 were supposed to replace all the M37s and variants, but the engine in it was a real motor pool queen. It was an overhead cam inline 6. Stories I heard about it (both civilian in the Jeep Gladiator and military) make it sound terrible. Jeep took the engine off the civilian market after only 2 or 3 years. When Uncle Sam started gearing up for Viet Nam they decided to rebuild M37s instead of sending over M715s. I drove 2 different M37s in Viet Nam and never saw an M715 overseas. One of my M37s was a ’50 model and was rebuilt in ’66. I’m sure those two old workhorses have red stars painted on their doors and are still cranking through the mud in SEA.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I retired from the Air Force in 1989 (Dang! 20 years ago already?), and there were still a couple of them in the motor pool at Offutt AFB. There were also a couple of M43s hiding out at the base hospital.

GoldComet6

Seems like the 230 six would be overworked to move a loaded M715 or 725. Maybe that's why they had a bad reputation:?::?:

KaiserM109...what I have read regarding the engine is different.

The 230 OHC six was first used in the new '63 J model trucks & Wagoneers, and they used it through the 1970 models. In February 1970 AMC bought Kaiser-Jeep from Kaiser Industries, and from early 1971 they used their 258 OHV inline six as the standard engine. The 230 actually had more hp & torque than the 258.

simbalion

Speaking of different engines in an M-37, I work with a Vietnam vet. He can remember M-37's refit with diesel engines, usually the later 'B' variant. That has stayed in his mind because of the problems they posed at the fuel depots. Guys used to fueling up the gassers would accidentally fill the diesel ones with gasoline instead.

SasquatchSanta

We had M37s in the 505th Tactical Control Group in Vietnam. Outside of Red Horse, I'd guess that the 505th was the first Air Force unit permanently assigned in Vietnam. No doubt they are still there.

I remember one time going on a scrounge mission with a couple of Marines to "appropriate" a 105 Recoilless Rifle for one of our radar sites. We Spied a lose 105 in an Army depot in Bien Hoa and ended ended up trading a case of yellow line writing pads and a 40 HP outboard motor for it. We threw it in the back of the M37 in a caddy cornered position with the barrel protrouding out the passengers side of the vehicle. I hate to admit it but we spend the drive back to Saigon using the protruding barrel to knock bycicles off the side of the road as we passed them. In looking back it was not one of our finest hours.

I've owned both early model and late model M37s. To the naked eye there isn't much difference. Great old trucks --- I still drive one everyday (without the 105 barrel of course)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks