• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 radio?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What is a correct radio for displaying in an M37? Also what would a non working radio purely for display purposes cost?
Thanks
Mike
And where would you install it without the M37 becoming a one passenger vehicle? Even behind the seat is tight. It would look like a chinese fire drill if it was mounted there and you needed to change the frequency...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would mount it in the bed against the cab so I could still fold down the troop seats
Ah well... I am thrilled with my little toy truck. Went out for a spin around the block - a nice ten mile circuit. Windows down. Air blowing through the windows and grinning from ear to ear. Thing is that I don't have bows or canvas or front or rear end curtains. I was just enjoying what I have and being happy with it.

Maybe I don't need the radio at the moment. :-(

Found a place called NewLifeCanvas.com that offers three of the four parts I would need for about $1200 Would need to find bows...

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A GRC-8 radio would be correct for the M37 in the early years.

A VRC-12 system would be correct for the 'Nam years

They were traditionally mounted on the drivers' side of the bed seats. There is a power receptical location on the bed front for it. Some installations had a control box mounted in the cab for mic/speaker connection. The antenna(s) were installed on the bed sides, towards the front part of the bed. There are 'knockouts' provided, but you are better off drilling them out rather than trying to punch them out.

DG

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice. A 100W AM fone rig.

Hope you have the 100A alternator system in there as well, that TX is not easy on the 25A generator.

73DG

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Static display only , I was told by a Vietnam Vet who used one in country that it required about 250 amps to fire up and 50 amps to run in his M37 !!! Just running on batteries they would last about 4 hours . That complete unit must about 150 lbs !!! we have come a long way !!!!100_1734.JPG

papakb

The GRC-19 is a nice rig but I think it's a little overkill if just used as a display radio though. That and unless you have the T-195B transmitter it annoyingly tunes all the way to the bottom end and then up again when you change frequencies. Big, bulky power hungry radio. Like G744 says, the low # VRC radios are correct for a Korean era truck and the VRC-12 would be correct for a Viet Nam truck. If you wanted a simple radio that won't kill your batteries find yourself an RT-70 tankers set. Small and low power but good enough for convoy use if you wanted to actually use it. All typically mounted on the left front troop seat. I've also seen PRC-25s mounted on a bracket on the transmission hump inside the cab in VN trucks.

Please remember that to transmit on these radios does require an FCC license. A simple technician class license is easy to get with a couple evenings studying and a simple test.

The AB-15 antenna would mount on an AB-243 on the side of the bed (GRC-8 & RT-70) as would a AT-1729 on an SC-C-189025 spacer for the VRC-12.

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've come a long way, you say? Dunno 'bout that.

An AN/GRC19 will work just fine after an atomic attack (like a cockroach).

A 'modern' radio will prolly be junk after a local power surge.

73DG aka W7TFO

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We've come a long way, you say? Dunno 'bout that.

An AN/GRC19 will work just fine after an atomic attack (like a cockroach).

A 'modern' radio will prolly be junk after a local power surge.

73DG aka W7TFO
There are those who don't know how to read a paper map too.

Like the old tube type radios, a paper map will still be working after the first EMP. I have folks who I know that couldn't make their way across town if their cell phone died. Sad but true...

Hard part is that with the old reliable radio - you may be the only one who has one - if the new stuff goes down.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boatanchors rule in my circles; both civilian and military radio gear.

Somehow over a dozen Hammarlund Super-pros live here...

Not to mention vintage homebrew TX.

73DG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Boatanchors rule in my circles; both civilian and military radio gear.

Somehow over a dozen Hammarlund Super-pros live here...

Not to mention vintage homebrew TX.

73DG
So very neat... The Comet has a lot of history!

papakb

I love the old boatanchors! I've still got the Hallicrafters SX-24 Skyrider Defiant that my Dad brought home after WWII. It was my first radio and it still works fine although a bit dustier. It has 2 twin sisters along with a National NC-33 and a Hammarlund HQ-150. It's sad to say that there's so much less out there to listen to today. Remember when you listened to Radio Moscow to get their take on a story, then listened to Voice of America to hear ours, and then the BBC to find out what really happened? LOL 😢

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love the old boatanchors! I've still got the Hallicrafters SX-24 Skyrider Defiant that my Dad brought home after WWII. It was my first radio and it still works fine although a bit dustier. It has 2 twin sisters along with a National NC-33 and a Hammarlund HQ-150. It's sad to say that there's so much less out there to listen to today. Remember when you listened to Radio Moscow to get their take on a story, then listened to Voice of America to hear ours, and then the BBC to find out what really happened? LOL 😢
Strange how that Radio Moscow, Voice of America, and the BBC worked 80 years ago. Still pretty accurate today. Exception being the first two... It is such a shame that the American Media today couldn't report "just the facts" if their lives depended on it.

Yes indeed! The old iron is so neat. I don't have any of the good radios, but I still have a 4 tube Elkin. Somehow the ability to talk on a CB went out of favor and the old Cobra radio and its kicker just sit patiently in a box now. Waiting. -- Radio Station WTIM has been asleep for years... ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks