• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 spark plugs

kdaniels

What's going on with the price on the Autolite 2243's ? Maybe it's been a while since I have purchased new ones, as I still have several dozen put away, but they sure seem to have shot up in price. Or have I just woke up to the inflation of the hobby?

SEMPER FI !

keith

Last edited:

NAM VET

Important to use a suitable heat range in these vintage vehicles. Not always easy to find that out, though. For my M37, my "research" suggested the 2243 plugs were appropriate, so I bought some spares.

As for other "spares" for my truck that seem to be getting hard to get, I have tended to buy two of whatever I need. When I was in the army (30 years), it was always good to have a "back-up" for any mission essential component. But when you use your "back-up", you no longer have a "back-up." So you need a "back-up" for your "back-up." It just goes on and on and on.

NAM VET

kdaniels

Nam Vet...You would think my supply would be ok....but I've got 4 trucks (M37's) , which I don't have time to drive all the time, but still I want the basic tune up parts for. And on a side note.. the distributor caps for these trucks have also gone crazy on the prices. It just seems that all things for these vehicles have shot up recently. I'm (was) a "Big Electric" member if that tells you how long I've been doing M37's .

SEMPER FI !

keith

NAM VET

your a lucky guy, I have just spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars since I got my M37 last summer. My first military truck. At least, my own and not one owned by the army. Mine came with boxes and boxes of spares. And indeed, anticipating when spares are hard if not nearly impossible to locate, I have tried to acquire items that would deadline my truck. My own experience goes back to the late '60's and early '70's, when my platoon had M113's, but I never worked on them. But in Germany, with the priority to Vietnam, spares of any sort were in very short supply. I would feel reassured if I had a box or two of spare plugs. Best wishes to you and your hobby.

NV

kdaniels

NAM VET...speaking of the wires ...those puppies have almost doubled in price over the last few years too. Save your old ones !!

SEMPER FI!!

keith

NAM VET

Kd, when I bought my truck last year, from someone I have known for 25 years, he having driven and kept up maintenance and such on the truck in the 25 years he owned it, he had kept every last bolt and wire and worn out part he replaced. Had it shipped back from NE to SC. Even kept the old raggedy wiring harness. So when I started my own restoration last summer, and replaced every non-specialty fastener with ARP or Grade 8, I took kept every single bolt or washer taken off. So I have a bucket of them, many the Dodge vintage fasteners. So if someday, I or someone wants to polish up the removed fasteners, they are there. I am about to put new wires and plugs on from John Bizal, and for sure will keep the old still functioning ones. I have a big box of spare seals and such, still in the waxed cosmoline, and have put them away too. I was lucky my truck had been kept up, and was basically rust free. I did completely rebuild the motor with the help of an experienced machine shop. But I will be sure to acquire some of the "mission essential Military parts." Plan on finishing the painting in a day or so. When I started my own saga, I read countless hundreds of old threads on this and other forums, which saved me no end of error and grief. Should have my M1919 for my bed pedestal from Rogue Island Armory by the end of the month.

It would be very difficult if not near impossible to restore any vintage vehicle without the resources and help of a forum of like minded folks.

all the best...

NAM VET

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any other options for spark plugs. i'm trying to get an old 1953 M37 running and i don't want to spend a whole lot on a part like that.
I believe the Autolight AR7S is an equivalent. Check Saturn Surplus. (cheap)

GUNNY 155

Seems a lot of the basic parts have jumped quite a bit. Lats year I needed a distributor cap and had a hard time finding one. VPW and Midwest Military were both waiting to get some in. I did find one on E Bay and later ordered a spare. I have accumulated quite a few spare parts in the way of things that could dead line my vehicle some time down the road. Awhile back I was considering selling them but after seeing that some parts are getting harder to come by and prices are climbing I have decided to keep my stock of spares.

kdaniels

Hey Gunny....I feel your pain. Way back when the stuff was cheap and available I bought a bunch of it for use on my M37's. After 8 or 10yrs I started looking to replace items used in normal up keep only to find they had increased in price by 200% on some things and the others are now made in chicken chow land and have a high failure rate. Sadly the following for these vehicles is so limited now (IMHO) and with the mind set of the dollar minded suppliers (manufactures) I think once the NOS or good used stuff is gone nothing about these trucks will be "cheap". When you've got main line parts guys like John and VPW waiting for incoming that should be your call to arms to purchase what you can.

I did catch wind of a plug replacement on the market right now, in sliver color, but haven't tracked down the source yet. I'll share it here when I do if someone hasn't already.

SEMPER FI !!

keith

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone post specifics on what (if any) commercially available spark plugs are appropriate for M37? Thanks!
I just put these in my M37. It allows you to use standard spark plugs. It's expensive but the plugs were $.99 on Rock Auto.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nam Vet...You would think my supply would be ok....but I've got 4 trucks (M37's) , which I don't have time to drive all the time, but still I want the basic tune up parts for. And on a side note.. the distributor caps for these trucks have also gone crazy on the prices. It just seems that all things for these vehicles have shot up recently. I'm (was) a "Big Electric" member if that tells you how long I've been doing M37's .

SEMPER FI !

keith
I was a Big Electric member too. My 1953 M37 has the same spark plugs in it that came with the truck when I bought it in 2001. It is not a daily driver by any means but I do get it out several times a year. I think I have a few spare spark plugs for it. We may start to see a time when we just can’t find certain parts for our 60+ year old trucks. Didn’t I see some kind of adaptors for these plugs that allow you to use “normal” spark plugs and maintain the original spark plug wires? Perhaps I saw them in History in Motion… I’ll have to look into it.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend bought those adapters and the recommended civilian plugs to go inside them. No joy, wouldn't run with them. Cleaned old plugs and replaced, ran great. Your mileage may vary. I bought 3 sets years ago at a show, hopefully they will last me. Still running the set the truck came with, and they are probably the same set it went to the county with from the Army in 1963...

John Mc

My friend bought those adapters and the recommended civilian plugs to go inside them. No joy, wouldn't run with them. Cleaned old plugs and replaced, ran great. Your mileage may vary. I bought 3 sets years ago at a show, hopefully they will last me. Still running the set the truck came with, and they are probably the same set it went to the county with from the Army in 1963...
I have those adaptors. Can't recall what plugs I have inside them, but they have worked just fine since the day I converted from the 12V ignition that was on the truck when I bought it back to a 24V system (Pertronix electronic ignition). The conversion was done earlier tis year. I've got about 1300 miles on it since then.

Lumbar Jack

Thanks for all the input. My '52 M37 (bought recently from a Fire Department) has Champion J11C plugs, no adapters, it starts and runs fine. Has a 12V system. What's the purpose of the adapters? Seems like I'm missing something..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks