• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 potential project questions.

drewmech

I spend most of my time over in the CUCV forums lurking and plotting the next fix/upgrade/etc… to my old M1009. Then today a lady comes in to where I work and asks if I like old military vehicles. Old green iron attracting old green iron I guess. The only thing I know about jeep is that it stands for “Just Empty Every Pocket”. Was hoping for 2 kind of inputs. Costs involved to get it going and what to pay for it. Lady is asking $4000. Would be looking to use this for a hunt truck / weekend toy. Crank case is full of fuel, the tub is rusty but the frame appears solid and it has most of the data plates. It’s been sitting for 5 years per the owner and the sticker on the plates agree. Thoughts?

Attachments

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spend most of my time over in the CUCV forums lurking and plotting the next fix/upgrade/etc… to my old M1009. Then today a lady comes in to where I work and asks if I like old military vehicles. Old green iron attracting old green iron I guess. The only thing I know about jeep is that it stands for “Just Empty Every Pocket”. Was hoping for 2 kind of inputs. Costs involved to get it going and what to pay for it. Lady is asking $4000. Would be looking to use this for a hunt truck / weekend toy. Crank case is full of fuel, the tub is rusty but the frame appears solid and it has most of the data plates. It’s been sitting for 5 years per the owner and the sticker on the plates agree. Thoughts?
I don’t know much on the M38s either, but I will say $4k seems high. Here in GA I watched a complete 1952 M38 with winter top, in better shape body wise and non running go for $1500 on FB market. But that’s just my opinion, based on things I’ve seen recent.

I myself have spent all my time around the Squarebody era trucks, but I have a desire for a M38 to diesel swap.. maybe someday..

drewmech

Is she willing to haggle price. Make a list and give reasons why the price should be lower. There's a better parts source for mil jeeps than the older big stuff.
Yeah I went thru the jeep with her and pointed out the major issues. Also let her know that there isn’t a thing on it that doesn’t need to be redone / replaced. Turns out it was her fathers jeep and she’s convinced it’s a true combat veteran from WW2. Showed her the data plate that says accepted in February 1952 to which she didn’t have an answer to. Based on the comments here I offered $1800 and told her I’d take her on a ride when I got it running properly. Thanks everyone for your input.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not bad... it's got a few parts that go missing. but it's been converted to 12v. has an aftermarket (non-OEM) air filter/inlet, and carb, and obv the fuel tank.

Honestly, it probably would be a good restore candidate, but it definitely wasn't worth $4k. Would be good for $1-2k. Best thing to do would be to get a repop tub just go from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks