• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38a1 clutch replacement help

pockersUK

Hi
I think my clutch needs replacing - the "bite point" is about 1 inch from neutral (i.e I only have to depress the clutch 1 inch for drive to disengage)
Question is
What parts do I need to replace ? Clutch plate etc
What seals etc will need replacing ? ( parts to buy list)
Is this an engine out job? If so any tips? & or other maintainence worth doing when out

Many thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all make sure your clutch free play is adjusted properly. If you truly need a clutch, replace both the disk and pressure plate, neither is expensive. My opinion is that the easiest way to do this is to pull the engine/transmission as a "wet pack" and divorce the engine from the transmission on the shop floor.

poppop

Sounds like it just needs adjusting. If its not slipping or making noise it should be OK. With the engine running put the transmission in 4th gear and let the clutch out at idle. If it stalls the engine it is OK. It also should slip on acceleration if the clutch is bad. If it has no free play then the release bearing is turning all the time and will not last long. It will seize and then burn the fingers off the pressure plate and you can't stop it with the clutch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks