• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 into Israeli colors

L1A1

I vaguely remember the M38 with a 106 recoilless we had in the 15th CEB had a split in the windshield where the barrel rested. Am I right?
All the M38s & M38A1s that I've seen sporting 106mm RRs have had the split windshield-that is to say there was a "loop" in the windshield frame for the barrel of the rifle to poke through. The G838 (M151) series versions did not have this mod done to their windshields for some reason.
Matt

FrankUSMC

All the M38s & M38A1s that I've seen sporting 106mm RRs have had the split windshield-that is to say there was a "loop" in the windshield frame for the barrel of the rifle to poke through. The G838 (M151) series versions did not have this mod done to their windshields for some reason.
Matt
Matt, "poke though" is a good term for the split windshield. The windshield does not hold the 106 barrel, but a travel lock that is mounted on the dash.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

L1A1

Matt, "poke though" is a good term for the split windshield. The windshield does not hold the 106 barrel, but a travel lock that is mounted on the dash.
Thanks, Frank. I didn't want to confuse people with the idea that the windshield (on the M38 anyway) was a two piece affair such as on the MB/GPW. I know about the travel lock. At least on the M38/A1s it (the lock) was low enough that the rifle rode horizontal and I guess you could fit the normal canvas top on (when not in combat)?

There was a small canvas flap that fit over opening in the w/s frame to seal it up as well but I think the rifle was usually removed in order for that to work.

The travel lock on the M151A1C RR carrier was much taller & if you wanted to drive around with the windshield up with the rifle mounted, the barrel had to be angled up so as to clear the w/s frame. Hence the taller mount.

Matt

FrankUSMC

Matt
Yes, the travel lock on the M151A1C is tall!, and is mounted on the floor, not the dash like the M38A1C.
One more personal note, out of all the different types of jeeps in the world, the M38A1C was the first jeep I was ever in! For years, back in the late 1960s, Fort Jackson, SC would display a M38A1C at the armed forces day on the base. They would let little kids get on the jeep and play. Little did they know they were planting a seed!.......to bad I went into the Marines instead, but I am building a M38A1C.

L1A1

An obersvation about M38A1s weather armed with recoiless rifles or not is that they were in service with so many armys and for so long that there is a color/configuration to suit most tastes....

Matt

Another Ahab

An obersvation about M38A1s weather armed with recoiless rifles or not is that they were in service with so many armys and for so long that there is a color/configuration to suit most tastes....

Matt
A Gallery with examples would be sweet, but what a PIA to pull it all together.

Like Robert E. Lee stated, immediately following that long remembered advance:

- Too Bad. Too Bad.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

That sure would be, Ahab. Be sure to post it when you're finished.:wink: :lol:

Matt
Well, maybe I should. Maybe I should.

But I just can't ignore all those agonizing conversations I had to endure with the unit recruiter (on every anniversary of my enlistment).

Those little "chats" burned a lesson into me that I have never forgotten.

It all taught me to heed the hidden message in my service:

- NAVY (Never Again Volunteer Yourself)

Once, you've been there it's hard to forget!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks