• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Transmission and Transfer Case Seals

jeeplvr247

It has been a long winter hibernation for the jeep (52 M38A1) and lots of other projects have pushed it to the back burner. This year I have a new job, a house of my own, and a wife(in 4 weeks) and all of these things have conspired together to keep me off steel soldiers and away from my jeep. As I sit here typing away I have about 12 other tabs open in my browser, pulling together research material and a desk full of papers full of exam prep material. But in one week school is over and it is time to get to work on the jeep!!
Here are the plans:
My rear hub has sounded like a bad washing machine for the whole time I have owned it. I grease the crap out of it which helps a little (at least in my head) and it does not heat up but I figure it is a good idea to replace. I have seen a few threads on the job so I have a pretty good idea of what to do.
The other issue is that my trans/transfercase are leaving a lot of gear oil on my garage floor. I would like to order new seals and replace everything between the rear main and drive shaft but I have never been inside a trans before. Any tips beforehand would be much appreciated.
I am not afraid of a project but I would also like to have the jeep out on the road and not spread out across my garage floor all summer so if it is beyond my abilities I will just keep the bottle of 80w90 handy and top everything off frequently until I can coax one of you guys to come help me (I don't have any money but I have more than enough high fives to go around:grin:)

wilfreeman

It is a fairly straight forward process - there's actually some youtube videos on the tranny. Make sure you coat the splines of the output shaft with rtv or you'll get a leak there - I didn't, and it is alot harder to do it the second time from under the Jeep! Check the rear main while you have the rest off - again, alot easier now than later!

jeeplvr247

Thanks for the advise. I will look up the videos. I figure I will just replace the rear main while I have the trans down. Are any specialized tools required? So far I have found that pretty much everything on these old jeeps can be dissected with a basic mechanics hand tool set (you have to love the old parts). Is everything the same for the hub and trans seals as a CJ-3b? Any recommended brands that worked well for you?

wilfreeman

When you are assembling the main shaft, you can use a wooden dowel the same diameter a the main shaft (i don't remember the size, but the video tells you) - makes life alot easier for you! I dont know about interchangeability between parts. I think I bought my small parts and gasket sets from midwest military years ago. I would just make sure they are u.s. made and you should be ok.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Get the right tool for the rear hubs. One of mine came of pretty easy but the other did involve some profanity.

jeeplvr247

Clinto - I am going to use the three-legged hub puller from oriellys (after bathing in pb blaster once a day for a week or so) and pray that it does not break.

Matt - Would you happen to have a link to the specific video you used? Thanks

jeeplvr247

Thanks, that's awesome. I will probably crack into it in the next couple of weeks. I have a rough week ahead of me so I really have to turn up my "give a crap" and stay of steel soldiers. Luckily, I do not have to take it all the way down. I just want to replace the seals. Is there anything else that I should be prepared to replace while I have it open?

Last edited:

jeeplvr247

Update:
So that previous post was a complete lie. This summer I was a complete bum and every time I got a good opportunity to work on the Jeep, I decided it would be more fun to take it for a spin. With summer coming to a close, school back in session, and the cold weather coming soon I knew I had to get working.I knocked out the hub without too much drama. The bulk of my time was spent trying to get the srews off the drum (which I later realized do not have to come off if you are pulling the hub). I also discovered that none of the auto parts stores have a suitable puller that you can borrow for the hub so I had to buy the 3 legged tool off ebay. I did however get to use the rented hub puller with slide hammer to pull the axle out.
As for the trans and transfer case, I have not done anything yet. I have aquired all the parts and studied the videos provided(thanks willfreeman!) and TM's. I will be getting started this week and I hope to have it all back together in less than a week after starting (tough timeline with my class and work load). I will post questions and updates as problems pop up. Any last minute suggestions?
Thanks

wilfreeman

So that previous post was a complete lie. This summer I was a complete bum and every time I got a good opportunity to work on the Jeep, I decided it would be more fun to take it for a spin.
Nothing wrong with that! If you don't enjoy it a little, you'll get burnt out on it like I did. I have done little to nothing on mine this summer either (or on the M100!). The GA rally is coming up very soon and I still have to adjust and reseal the rear end on mine + get my rebuilt carb on and tuned. I know how you feel!

Keep at it - maybe you'll get 'er done before it gets too cold - if not, try again next Spring!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nothing wrong with that! If you don't enjoy it a little, you'll get burnt out on it like I did. I have done little to nothing on mine this summer either (or on the M100!). The GA rally is coming up very soon and I still have to adjust and reseal the rear end on mine + get my rebuilt carb on and tuned. I know how you feel!

Keep at it - maybe you'll get 'er done before it gets too cold - if not, try again next Spring!
Plus you're having to do all this work on your deuce to get it ready! :)

Don't worry, I'll be happy to drive the Jeep so you can play with the deuce.

wilfreeman

Plus you're having to do all this work on your deuce to get it ready! :smile:

Don't worry, I'll be happy to drive the Jeep so you can play with the deuce.
The deuce won't make it this year Clinto - haven't had time to work on it much since I got it home. Haven't even called around to get it insured or even registered yet. You know you can drive the Jeep if you want to - just take it easy on her, she's an old woman!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks