• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M39 Series 5 ton steering column question???

vtdeucedriver

Anyone ever change out the horn wire in the column of a 5 ton??? Not noted in my manual that I can find. Had it apart and I believe the only way now is to undo the clamp at the box and the panel and slide the outer sleeve back with the steering wheel removed???

Artisan

Will it slide? Can you solder a new wire to one end or the other and pull the new
wire thru? Perhaps do a nice skinny solder job? If it will move I think I would
strip back a good 2" and interlock the strands w/o bending, then solder, using
solder sparingly but up the whole 2" lemgth.

wdbtchr

I'm going to have to deal with this if I live long enough. My wire is grounded somewhere inside the column. I tried to pull a new one from the steering wheel end but couldn't get it to move, I suspect it's pinched where its grounded. I rigged a wire to a button on top of the column and it's still that way.

roofconsult

Well, I don't know the difference between the old style and the new style. I have a 1990 m923a2.
Any help on how to get the shaft out of the column would be most appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks