• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 and M101 trailer lunettes the same??

Barrman

The 101 lunettes are made to be a solid mount on the trailer while the pintle on the back of the M37, M715, etc... rotated for off road articulation.

The 416 lunette is rotating mounted so the solid mounted pintle on the M38, M38A1 won't be ripped off. At least that is how the only two 416 trailers I have ever seen in person were set up.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, so the question still stands, are the M416 and M101 trailer lunette the same, or "swappable"? I have a M416 that needs a lunette, and might have access to a M101 lunette if the 2 are the same.. I know the M101 has a bend in it, but as long as it fits, thats all I care about.

Barrman

You are talking about an American M101 and not a Canadian M101, right?

The US M101 and M101A1 have the lunette fixed to the front of the trailer and I don't think they come off. The US M101A2 and M101A3 have the surge brake with a very short lunette. It is not swappable.

The US M105 has the curved neck lunette that looks real close to the US M416. But, it is several sizes bigger in all aspects.

The Canadian M101 is basically a newer and better built US M416. Yes, those lunettes will swap.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the US M101 3/4 ton and the US M416 1/4 ton. Not the CDN versions.. I could of sworn the M101 and M101A1 trailer lunettes are deatachable if you take the cotter pin/nut off....

papercu

They (M101/A1) are removeable but will not be a direct fit for the M416. The M416 lunettes are straight while the M101/A1 lunette is a smaller version of the M105 it has the offset and the end with the nut is tapered. But you may be able to make it work, the M101 looks as if it will fit the hole. Wayne

Lex_Ordo

Saturn Surplus has the Lunette for the M416.

And just so I am clear about what is being discussed...

Will the M105 Curved Lunette fit the M101 CDN2 Trailer, or is the 105 Lunette too fat in diameter?
I am curious as I am trying to raise the Tow Point of the trailer so it will be more compatible with the lunette of the M35A2. Or lower it tothe existing M101 CDN2's height.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
emmado The lunette on the 101 & 105 look very close to the same thing. They can be flipped. Notice the flat on top and bottom. I flipped min e when I got the 105. Pulled it with a Tahoe. Motice the key where the flat rests on the bottom. When flipped eaither way they will not rotate as the pintle will rotate.
On the 416 the shaft is tapered. There is a spring on the shaft behind the castle nut. when greased and adjusted with the right tention on the spring the lunette will rotate with the torque of twisting because the pintle on the M38 & 151 will not rotate.
Heres a few pics that might help.

Attachments

Lex_Ordo

Last year at Aberdeen, I had the oportunity to try this out.
There was a man selling US M101 (3/4 ton) curved lunettes, and I saw a man with an M101 CDN2 (1/4 ton) trailer. I tried the US M101 lunette on the CDN2, and unfortunately, the diameter of the lunette was too wide.

So the only lunettes that will fit the 1/4 ton trailers will either be the US M416, or the M101 CDN2. No other will swap.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the M416 Lunette. The tapered end slides into one of two holes, one for the M151 which has a lower mounted pintle and the other for a higher mounted pintle, such as a M38a1 or the like. Hope this helps.

Rick

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have a friend over in slidell that needs a lunette for his 416 and i have one coming for mine from a member that is waiting on the oil to break it free. mine was cut off and a 2 in ball mount welded on

2deuce

I have a trailer where they cut the lunette and made a swivel, welded the ball mount on one end and the lunette ring on the other. I should take a picture of it. It it the only one I have ever seen. Not that I like it that way, I wish I had a whole lunette for it too. I heard they make reproductions. If they do I'm sure Ron Fritzpatrick has them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks