• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 cargo trailer for M1009

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

Do any of you know where I can find an M416 trailer for sale?

I would like to know where to look, so I can get one,
when my '09 is running properly so I can move some things
that need to be moved.

Thank you, Good night,

CJ

nattieleather

1/4 ton trailer's are nice and pull just fine behind a M1009 but you can't back them worth a hoot. The problem is you can't see it behind you. So by the time you see it in your mirrors you're at the point of jack knife. Do yourself a favor and look for a M101 trailer. It is what is meant to go behind a CUCV and you'll gain two advantages. 1. You'll get more room to put more stuff in it and 2. you'll be able to see it when your backing up. JMHO based on practical knowladge.

CycleJay

Hi..

But M101's are heavier, so you will not be able to load as much onto the trailer.
Also, I remember reading that the M416 is supposed to be the trailer for the M1009.

Good day,

CJ

poof

Dirty Hippie
1/4 ton trailer's are nice and pull just fine behind a M1009 but you can't back them worth a hoot. The problem is you can't see it behind you. So by the time you see it in your mirrors you're at the point of jack knife. Do yourself a favor and look for a M101 trailer. It is what is meant to go behind a CUCV and you'll gain two advantages. 1. You'll get more room to put more stuff in it and 2. you'll be able to see it when your backing up. JMHO based on practical knowladge.

one more thing. You can buy 2 or 3 M101 trailers for the price of (one) nice m416..and 101a2 and a3 have Surge brakes. so load them up...but be safe too.
J.P.

Last edited:

TyJustice

I agree with the M101 being a better choice as well.

I pulled a m101 & 6.2 in steel crate from Denver west to the four corners with a non-turbo m1009 (turbo since installed).

Going up Wolf Creek Pass was interesting, especially at 10,000 feet pulling I think around 3800+. Towards the top my max speed was around 15 and all my black smoke was almost passing up the truck. :razz:

I also use the m101 for a hunting trailer, keep it at camp and throw my air mattress in the back (double fits perfect!).

Just make sure if you go the M101 route, you try to get one with a surge brake. I didn't and now wish I had, but it's not a must.

twa@ezdn.net

I like the101 as well, got a A1 first and picked up a A2 for the trips to the hills. As we all know the stock pintle is not that robust but I catch huge fish on small line (be steady)
I don't over load my trailers, but the best thing is I can sleep in it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The correct trailer for the M1009 is the M416. It also has a max weight of 1200 lbs behind the blazer. This is found in the -10 manual. The M101 series trailers are for the rest of the CUCV series. Expect to pay 800-1200 for a really nice one.:shock:

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

As hndrsonj says, if the max weight towed behind the blazer is 1200lbs,
and the M101 is 1340 lbs.
Then how can you guys with M1009's tow M101's without ripping your pintles off,
or causing damage to the drivetrain, suspension, etc..??

Also, I went to this website, and it said the M1009 has a
"towed load allowance of 3000lbs", what does this mean than,
if max payload is 1200 lbs?
Truck, Utility, 3/4 ton, 4x4 M-1009

Just inquiring..

Thanks,

CJ

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the -10:

a.
b.
c.​
Towing Capacities of CUCV Models.​
(1)
(2)​
M1009.​
Equipped to tow M416 Series 1/4 ton trailers with maximum towed load
of 1200 pounds for both cross-country and highway travel. Load on tongue should
not exceed 100 pounds.
FA1008, M1008A1, M1028, M1028A1, M1028A2, and M1028A3, Equipped to tow
M101 Series 3/4 ton trailers with maximum towed load of 3100 Ibs. Load on tongue

should not exceed 300 Ibs.

quickfarms

Is that rating highway or cross country? The military has a habit of derating vehicles. The civilian version has a higher tow rating. You probably should use a frame mounted receiver if you exceed the government ratings.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that rating highway or cross country? The military has a habit of derating vehicles. The civilian version has a higher tow rating. You probably should use a frame mounted receiver if you exceed the government ratings.
In this application cross country and on road are equal. I am guessing olive drab put down the towed load for a M1008 (just a guess).