• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 - Cover Option

cruzinz28

I wanted to start a separate thread in case others were looking for a more cost effective option for a cover for their M416 and M100 Trailers.

The 5x7 tarp was purchased from Tarpsplus.com for $20.65. I'll post the link below. I know it might not be built to original specs for a perfect restoration, but it looks darn good to me and fit my budget as well. I chose to buy the Ball Bungees to hold it down and the grommets in the tarp lined up perfect with the loops on the trailer. In the future I plan to build a "skeleton" underneath to raise it up to keep water from puddling up, but then again it will be stored inside all the time and the tarp only needed when I am on the road and bad weather is expected.

20140708_170747.jpg 20140708_170826.jpg

http://www.tarpsplus.com/olive-drab-canvas-tarps.html

nattieleather

Looks good to me and the price is right. For a tarp bow, PS Magazine told the GIs to use a 2x6 board the length of the trailer bed. Cut the top of the ends off on an angle 45 degrees or less and notch the bottom of the ends to sit on the front and back walls. This makes an effective bow that drains the water nicely. I did that on my 416 and it was great.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Super info.

Waaaaayyyy back when I was in the NG, we made 'doghouses' to cover these trailers. In the regular army we had them on our 151 trailers in Germany also.

cruzinz28

I saw that one for sale on eb$y... definitely won't see me spending $95 plus $36.92 for shipping on that model anytime soon. I've never seen the original that it is a replica of, but it does look like great craftsmanship and should function quite well.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the description on their website - "tear defiant". :)

I made bows for my 416 with PVC pipe. Cheap, quick, and easy.

I put wooden dowels just small enough to slip inside the top lengthwise sections to keep them from drooping. None of it is glued, so I can change to Mark 2 using the same components if I need to.
The frame was a bit wider than the trailer, so it would flex into a bow when stuck inside. The whole thing pops in and out easily, but will stay in with no tarp at highway speeds.
Looks better after I painted it green, but I don't have a picture of that.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks