• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416: Got my trailer

rmvivas

I got my M416 trailer the other day.

I was somewhat surprised to find that with some care, forethought and a judicious disregard for some elemental safety rules, one can fit an M416 in the bed of a full size pick up truck.

The trailer is in pretty decent shape. The bed itself is a sheet of orange rust but it seems to be mostly surface scale with no penetration or, if there is penetration, mostly pinhole type.

The body sides and frame seem to be pretty sound. They have some scale but again, nothing that seems insurmountable.

The paint job is a home done version of woodland camo but what it lacks in authenticity it makes up for in rust protection.

Tires are almost new.

Has vinyl top.

I was about to order the manuals for this off of some websites, then I saw that we got some new high speed laser printers in at work...........................

The great thing about night tours and being senior on the unit is that no one was around to give me any grief for burning through 500 pages of paper through the new printers. A couple 3 ring binders and a butt load of plastic page protectors later I now have copies of TM 9-2330-251-14&P (rev. 9/90) as well as TM 9-2330-251-14 (rev. 6OCT70).
For what it's worth, TM 9-2330-251-14&P (rev. 9/90) seems a bit more accessible for a mechanical newbie such as I. The downside is that the info is often bifurcated between the M416 and the M416A1 versions. The TM 9-2330-251-14 (rev. 6OCT70) is a little easier in that it only covers M416 but it does pre-suppose more mechanical knowledge on the part of the user (me!) than might actually exist.

Overall, I am satisfied. The trailer needs some small things but I'm ok with that.

One thing that I really love about it is that it is big enough to be useful but small enough that I can tow it with any vehicle I have. Even better, IT FITS IN MY GARAGE!!!!!! That will make playing with it so much easier!

I'd like to get it all squared away now while the weather is still bad. It needs one rear light assembly installed (was missing but came as a replacement).

I'd like to be able to get the paint off the data plates and see what they say.

I'd like to get it a paint job to match my truck. Since I don't know what color I am ultimately going to do for my truck (some variation of desert sand I think), I'd probably just strip the paint off this, clean up the scale and leave it in primer for now. Any recommendations on what primer to use?

I am almost at the point where I will have a signature line with multiple entries!

Attachments

Last edited:

Adrian A

May i recommend powder coating it. Then if you don't like the color just scuff it and paint it the color desired? This will make it look brand new with excellent rust protection and durability.

theres a guy in pocatello ID on craigslist has several 416's and m100 for sale. Top end is 1400 bucks and down, he has one built like an expo rig already for 2500. If I hadn't just got mine for FREE I would have jumped on one of the ones he's selling.

CycleJay

theres a guy in pocatello ID on craigslist has several 416's and m100 for sale. Top end is 1400 bucks and down, he has one built like an expo rig already for 2500. If I hadn't just got mine for FREE I would have jumped on one of the ones he's selling.
Hello, lucky you, how in the heck did you get a 416 for free?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks