• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 & M101 tire retrofit

1942fordgpw

Hello,

Would like to make my M416 really Interstate worthy...

I need a tire size recommendation to replace my original military tread tires, but still using the original wheels.

Any other recommendations for Interstate travel pulling an M416 ?

Additionally, I have an older 3/4 ton trailer that I would also like to replace the 900 x 16 military tread tires, but using the same 5 - lug rims.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what size tires the 416 has but the M101 would benefit from the 235/85R16 tire. This is a little shorter than the 900X16 but common and affordable. If you need the height there exists a 255/85R16 but they are more costly. With your existing rims you will need radial rated inner tubes as well.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just saw a M416 the other day with radial tires, and I ment to look and see what size they were... but of course I didn't.

Kenny, thanks for that info, I need to put tires back on my M101 to use it because I took the decent NDCC tires off to put on the M37.

Blueegg

I had a m416 that I put 245/75/16's on, without tubes.
Having run my M416 and stock NDT on the interstate at 70 MPH for 40 mile runs and no problems, I'm interested in answers to these issues:

1) There is a problem with running NDTs with tubes at highway speeds?

2) Apparently, the stock rims can be run tubeless with regular tires?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Having run my M416 and stock NDT on the interstate at 70 MPH for 40 mile runs and no problems, I'm interested in answers to these issues:

1) There is a problem with running NDTs with tubes at highway speeds?

2) Apparently, the stock rims can be run tubeless with regular tires?

I towed that 416 about 200 miles on badly cupped Kelly Springfield NDCCs with no problem; the reason I put on the tubeless ones were because at the time I didn't have any extra NDCCs. The tubeless tires held air for the few months I had the trailer.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With trailers, any tire is "good" as long as it is not dryrotted, weatherchecked, etc it will work. Tread pattern (or lack of it) doesn't really matter.

Pawnshop

I have put hundreds of highway miles on my NDT equipped M416 with no issues. Radials would be cheaper if you were buying new tires but there is no reason to replace the NDTs if they are still serviceable.

Attachments

GGimbert

My non directional tires recently developed bulges after a 75 mph 40 mile trip with a medium load. several trips prior to this they were fine at up to 80 mph. Do not know why they both went all the sudden but am now looking for radial replacements.. :(

Capt1812

Hello everyone. although this thread is over a year ago does anyone still follow it? if so, I just bought a m416 and will start a renovation. One of the first questions would be if anyone has ever installed buddy bearings on the hub? is there even a set that is made for the trailer's unique hub thickness? Thanks

nattieleather

Looking on the buddy bearing sight I would think you just have to measure things up and order the right one in. The M416 takes a rather stock bearing and cone. I had a M416 for about 20 years. I pulled the hubs and cleaned and repacked the bearings the first year. I didn't do anything to them for 10 years and when I did pull them 10 years later they were still good. No problems. Cleaned and repacked and they were good for another 10 years. The trailer sat outside or under a tarp the whole 20 years with regular usage all year long. I used that little trailer a lot! Now I'm not saying that it's okay to neglect your bearings like I did, but if my extreme neglect held up then with good routine maintenance you shouldn't need the bearing buddies. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Blueegg

I have put hundreds of highway miles on my NDT equipped M416 with no issues. Radials would be cheaper if you were buying new tires but there is no reason to replace the NDTs if they are still serviceable.
Agree,
Tested my NDTs with 1400 miles of Interstate towing this summer. No problems.

Bryan 45

I replaced the NDT on my M151A1 with 215/85/16 11 years ago. I run them tubeless and have never had a leak. (Wheels are the same as the M416.)

I've had the same old set of NDT on my M416 for these same 11 years without any problems. Although I do have to add air a few times a year. The trailer pulls well on the highway, usually behind my '05 Jeep.

I know you guys are looking to keep things similar sized and what not. I took my 416 apart sand blasted the old girl and did a bunch of metal work to make it solid again. Ended up throwing a lid on it and figured matching tire and rims to go with the tow vehicle might be real nice on long trips overland. SO I switched out the axle and made new fenders, came out pretty cool for our uses and now I can fit 33x12.5x15 on the little trailer. Got a new 3500 lbs axle from red neck trailers via a local trailer shop. Ordered it with parking brakes so I retained that feature and got electric brakes that plug into the old m1009, really enjoying the utility of the little trailer behind the m1009.

chestypuller1371

is there a way to convert these to the big 6 lug 20 inch rims and 900 tires? i just picked one up that has a 5 lug bud pattern, and would like to use same tires as deuce.