• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 Tail Light Bulb Conversion

915WarChief

Hi. I'm new to the site and am seeking assistance. I recently purchased a M416A1 in decent shape. The wiring loom and tail lights were changed to some plastic junk. I was able to get a M-series wiring harness and the original tail light housings with the Gamma Goat lenses. Obviously, the 24 V incandescent bulbs came as a package deal. I need to swap these incandescent bulbs to 12 V LED. I will pull this trailer with my Jeep Cherokee that has LEDs. Could someone provide me with some crossover numbers or a website that has the bulbs I am seeking?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. I use #1156 for the larger bulb and then #67 or 97 for the smaller one.
The m416a1 trailer came from the factory with the larger plastic composite taillights as those became the standard around 1970ish. The old style small taillights will still bolt up to your brackets though.

I’m running late model LED taillights in metal buckets on my a1 clone.
A6CA1840-2208-4009-9028-B967DD70FC8F.jpeg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi. I'm new to the site and am seeking assistance. I recently purchased a M416A1 in decent shape. The wiring loom and tail lights were changed to some plastic junk. I was able to get a M-series wiring harness and the original tail light housings with the Gamma Goat lenses. Obviously, the 24 V incandescent bulbs came as a package deal. I need to swap these incandescent bulbs to 12 V LED. I will pull this trailer with my Jeep Cherokee that has LEDs. Could someone provide me with some crossover numbers or a website that has the bulbs I am seeking?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the site! Some of those plastic buckets are a little cheezy, but with low heat output from LED's they aren't awful. Chances are good that if you show up at the parts house with the bulbs you are using, they should be able to fix you up with the rignt LED's to fit. Guessing that in Cheyenne, a delivery might be easier than driving to the store

Good news is that a lot of LED's will deal with 12 or 24 volts. 1156 and 67 bulbs numbers are 12v standard signal and marker lights as was mentioned by Evil Dr. Porkchop . I think 1157's are the two filament turn / stop lights.

Don't forget to snap and upload a few pictures of your new-to-you trailer. We love admiring the new additions to the family!

You mentioned pulling it with a Jeep Cherokee. There was a post not long ago where the trailer had been painted white to match the pickup that was pulling it. Looked pretty sharp! Even though your trailer has MV Green on it now, it could be any color to match your jeep too!

915WarChief

Welcome to the site. I use #1156 for the larger bulb and then #67 or 97 for the smaller one.
The m416a1 trailer came from the factory with the larger plastic composite taillights as those became the standard around 1970ish. The old style small taillights will still bolt up to your brackets though.

I’m running late model LED taillights in metal buckets on my a1 clone.
View attachment 840135
Thanks for the help, sir!

915WarChief

Gents,
Thank you very much for the assistance! This M416A1 does not have the inertial brake system, which is fine by me. The aftermarket tail lights are square and don't work. The trailer is in pretty good shape, only a couple minor dents and in decent shape. I purchased the metal buckets, Gamma Goat lens, and the vehicle wiring harness from Army Jeep Parts. I will run the harness into a 7 blade plug so I use the trailer with either the jeep of my pickup truck. I always wanted one these trailers due to its simplicity and did service maintenance on them in '80s. Still wish I had one of the M151A2s I used to service. Loved that jeep. I was suprised yesterday because I seen two MV jeeps on a flatbed in Cheyenne while driving down the interstate. One had a 90mm recoilless rifle; they sure were pretty.
M416A1.jpg
Again, thanks for the gents, I really appreciate it.
Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks