• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 Trailer build for back-country travel

tm america

I like it .looks like you put alot of thought into it..I really like the hitch setup..IT keeps the average thief from just hooking up and driving off with your hard work:grd:

ExpeditionOps

Update:
I am currently in Delaware waiting for TitanPat to come on down here so we can meet up! The trailer made a shakedown run of 1200mi and is doing great. My only issues are light paint coverage... I didnt buy or spray enough, sadly. Because of that, I'm getting rusting under the round tube where it meets the sheet metal and around the tarp hooks, I did drive it through snowing salt covered roads, UGH, my freshly painted baby!! But, I knew it would need more coats later on after this trip. I routed all the wiring through the frame then set the tub on, severing all the trailer wires, shorting out my truck lights (irritating) 12hrs to wire a trailer is not right! I had to tighten up the Max Coupler after the drive as it seemed to be a little too loose for my likings. One of the hubs was luke warm to the touch as opposed to the other side which was cold, so I may go in and shoot some grease into the new Dexter axle.
All in all, I love the way it rolls, smooth as can be, takes a little getting used to not having the rear windshield to look out, but otherwise, I love it. I dropped it to go wheeling in NJ, super easy. I think thats about it. I'll try to get some more pics up for you guys as soon as possible.

ExpeditionOps

Well, 7,100 miles and 2.5 months into the shakedown run and everything is running great, with a few minor fixes needed.

The shocks I mounted are too long and knocked themselves loose damaging the frame... its all fixable, but needs attention.
The receivers on the trailer and truck side tilt up and down, unnecessarily, due to tolerances between the receiver and male coupler 2" tubes. Welding on a nut and putting a tensioning bolt in place to eliminate that will do the trick.

Jeremy

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are way past this point and maybe it was in another thread, but did you consider a 3/4 ton trailer such as an M101A2? Just curious why you decided to start with an M416. I admire your craftsmanship and attention to detail.

ExpeditionOps

You are way past this point and maybe it was in another thread, but did you consider a 3/4 ton trailer such as an M101A2? Just curious why you decided to start with an M416. I admire your craftsmanship and attention to detail.
Bruce,

Great question. The tow rig is a Lexus LX450/ Toyota Land Cruiser. Has just enough power to get out of its own way at the right elevation. Anything heavier would be an issue. More space, means I carry more. This is nimble for the type of trails I am running. I believe I'm at about 1600lbs wet as it sits, I have picked up a mpg from carrying the RTT on the roof of the truck.

Thanks for the kind words,

Jeremy

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeremy,
I HAVE a couple of M101 trailers. I'm in the process of designing a modification to turn the M101A1 into a small kitchen trailer. I stole the idea from Carlin Manufacturing who made the C200 field kitchen...

Military Field Kitchen | Military Trailer Kitchen | Portable Military Kitchens

YOUR POP UP would be an interesting addition to this concept. I've been toying with this idea, because I like the thought of a flat surface for towing purposes, but would like it to 'rise up' so I could attach some form of shade and the ability to fold out a shade from under the rising top would be killer. Also, I would want it to hold at least one or two PV Solar Cells so I can keep a few batteries charged up while working.

See the video on how they approached the idea. I want to 'improve' on this concept. Does this sound like something that would be doable? As you have done some of this work already I thought I would ask your thoughts.

I LOVE the work you've done so far. I will keep an eye out as you proceed. Thx.

jim

ExpeditionOps

Jeremy,
I HAVE a couple of M101 trailers. I'm in the process of designing a modification to turn the M101A1 into a small kitchen trailer. I stole the idea from Carlin Manufacturing who made the C200 field kitchen...

Military Field Kitchen | Military Trailer Kitchen | Portable Military Kitchens

YOUR POP UP would be an interesting addition to this concept. I've been toying with this idea, because I like the thought of a flat surface for towing purposes, but would like it to 'rise up' so I could attach some form of shade and the ability to fold out a shade from under the rising top would be killer. Also, I would want it to hold at least one or two PV Solar Cells so I can keep a few batteries charged up while working.

See the video on how they approached the idea. I want to 'improve' on this concept. Does this sound like something that would be doable? As you have done some of this work already I thought I would ask your thoughts.

I LOVE the work you've done so far. I will keep an eye out as you proceed. Thx.

jim
Jim,

If you want to do something with a similar setup except closed sides when raised, the Gas shocks will be much easier to do, especially if you keep you lift height below 18"'s. weight wise, a fixed top would be no issue, unless you are worried about the surface being presented to the wind. Awnings can be attached to the sides of the trailer easily. I sell some great units from all different prices, bolt them onto the top or sides.

Depends on what you flexible needs are and your fixed needs are, but could be a fun discussion.

Jeremy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks