• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 wheel bearing problems

harryhr

I purchased a 1967 M416 trailer which needs a lot of restoring. I started to pill out the old wheel bearings and the left side was easy to come apart and the bearings are junk. The right side is a different story. The wheel bearing race is froze solid to the axle spindle like it is one piece. I sprayed penetrating fluid in the spindle and race and let it soak in for three days, Tried again this morning to get the bearings out and it still won't budge and now the drum won't turn, it's like everything seized up. The other side was great. I just tapped on the back edges of the drum and it came right off with the bearings. I'm thinking maybe I can heat up the race and spindle with a welding torch and try to expand the race or just cut the race and bearings out with the torch. I am at a loss here. Any suggestions?? Thank you for any and all information and suggestions. If this doesn't work I will need to find a replacement axle with brake drums. If anyone has one for sale, please let me know. I'm located Niagara Falls, NY. If it's not too far, I will travel to pick it up. Thanks again, Harry

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you figure out how to attach a slide hammer to the wheel studs and give it a bunch of whacks.

Al Harvey

Heating it up and then tapping the drum could help break it free. I wouldn't suggest trying to actually cut it since it will make a molten mess in there. Not sure what penetrating fluid your using, but Seafoam makes a great product called "Deep Creep" that has worked better for me than anything else. It's also designed to be used after you heat something up.

harryhr

I tried s slide hammer, got a fairly good grab on the studs but still no nudge at all. I got a really good llook at race and the spindle with a magnifier. They are so fused together that it looks like one piece. I was gonna undo the four nuts behind the brake backing plate and give it a couple whacks but guess what! The nuts just turn because the bolts are not welded to the inside of the backing plate. Well today I tried a cutoff tool but get in only so far (was hoping to cut enough of the race) so I could get a chisel in there to break it free of the spindle. It won't budge. Looks like at the very least to try to cut it with a plasma torch which I know a guy that has one in his shop. I will need to disconnect the brake line's and drop the axel and take it to his place. If I kept grinding at the race I starter to cut into the housing for the hub cap, so no more of that. Thanks for your suggestion, Harry

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If you do need an axle I have an extra up here in Northern VT. It came with a lot of take-off m416 parts I bought; I haven't looked at it yet so all I know is the drums turn.
Good luck!

harryhr

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the offer of the axle. I was hoping someone closer to me would have one for sale. Whereabouts is Colchester, VT? I looked at my Rand McNally map book but could not find your city. It would be a bit of a drive from Niagara Falls, NY. What are you asking for it? If it's boxed up right, it can be shipped UPS. My email address is: harryhr@Verizon.net

harryhr

I'm still interested in the M416 parts....What I really need the most is the full left hand side (drivers side) Brake drum with hub assembly and the Brake shoe/flange with spindle assembly. This would be much easier to send by UPS/FEDEX than the complete axle assembly. Please quote me a price for the parts and shipping. My address is: 2409 Independence Avenue, Niagara Falls, NY 14301 (the shipper can give you shipping cost. I can send payment to you: check, money order. whatever is good for you. My phone number is: 716-285-7350 (house) 716-417-1380 (cell) email: harryhr@Verizon.net
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Harold R. Hostler

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks