• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

Oldfart

Ghostdriver, and the rest of the family had to sort cattle so we could send come calves to the sale yard Monday morning. That made for a short day working on the M43. However, some things got accomplished and the photos are attached. Zouts comments about respirators is well taken. They were left in the paint cupboard and should have been worn.

Attachments

Ghostdriver

Now we're getting somewhere! I need to make a punchlist for all the little things on the engine that still need to be done (like getting the right size cotter pins for the rear motor mounts).

I am very happy with the paint color (which is amazing - that I am happy with it, that is), and everybody else seems to like it too. Bro really likes it. He entertained the idea of painting his new rat rod M37 with it (which is in some of the recent pictures), but decided that it would look too good to be a rat rod.

I'll have to wait until Tuesday to work on it some more, but Dad will probably be down to tinker with it tomorrow. When we get to the paint and body work, I'll definitely need more help, since I know nothing about that. Apparently, there are guys wanting to know when they get to work on the ambulance, plus offers of help from the club members. I had no idea - I am pretty accustomed to having to fend for myself, but it's good to have friends!

Generally I don't care much for wrenching on vehicles - I'd much rather drive them - but I have really enjoyed working on my truck. I am usually sweaty, filthy, and gross, with grease in my hair and reeking of parts cleaner solvent, but you are right Zout, I'm happy.

jollyroger

To sum up what we have learned:

1: A little brother is capable of teaching his big sis how to wear non steel toe footwear in the shop. Our shop is fairly relaxed with regard to OSHA regulations.

2: See note 1 and replace footwear with respirator.

3: When sis say's I'll mix a little paint for the engine bay there is a need to confirm what "a little" means. Apparently semantics comes into play between siblings. For me "a little" means I won't need the respirator. But by the time I have a full cup of paint and one more on the bench for just in case and they are going to start setting up in the gun before I can even get to the respirator, it's go time. Also please see note 2.

4: Bald is beautiful......I'm just sayin'. :D

5: Freinds are great. Let's all have some.

6: OSHA regulations in the shop are relaxed because, if your going to be dumb you have got to be tough. Also please see note 4.

In all seriousness I have been chompin' at the bit to get in there and do stuff on the bambalance but.........I don't want to horn in on something my dad and sis are doing together. That's more important than anything else.

But anytime you want the NASCAR pit crew treatment let me know......I'll get me and Jimmy on it. Along with you and dad we can get it whipped out quick, fast and in a hurry. And be ready for the airshow. With your M43 we could have 8 trucks out at the show.:beer:

zout

Ghostdrdiver - that is really coming together - the engine looks fantastic - and another great smile from the days work.

Jolly - I am not a big fan of OSHA itself - they are just money grabbing mongers and take no considerations when inspecting - its all about money to them and safety overall has gone out to pasture. You can tell by their worthless gov't paid inspectors.

BUT - there is a time for safety and I only mentioned that for health sake - sanding - sanding body fillers - I personally know what it does to a set of lungs. Hang around me long enough in a day and you will eventually hear it - and the heat does make it worse.

We're all adults I think - and I am sure you all know what is best for you - it was only my .02 cents worth and debated wether to even say it or not last time.

Cannot wait to hear a video of that puppy running.

jollyroger

Zout. Please do not take my post the wrong way. I was joking. I'm not mad at ya or anyone else for stressing safety in the shop. There is nothing wrong with the "Hey! Put that 25 lb. hammer down before someone loses a toe." speech.

GD almost had a nut fall into her eye while she was under the rig takin out motor mount bolts. That got her to thinkin she needed eye protection while under the truck. I have said what's wrong with eye protection ALL the time. But she's my big sister and I can't TELL her anything. Ha Ha. :deadhorse: She has seen the results of wearing safety glasses and having metal magically come around the glasses and lodge itself in peoples eye's. Yes. It's happened several times here. aua Before this project started to roll this spring I bought several brand spankin' new pairs of Nemesis saftey glasses and hung them up right where the workbench is. They are not as widely used as I had hoped.:shock:

Dad and I gave her crap about the flip flops and her response was where are your steel toe boots? I had on sneakers and dad had on some slip on loafers. So we had nothin' to respond with other than a sheepish grin.:D:oops:

Basically what I was sayin' are the bad habits around the shop have been passed down, and up, from dad and brother. But I've been hoping she could learn from us the easy way........My sister is tough. But she's not dumb like us boys.

And I want to stress.........Bald is beautiful. Even if others have to wear welding goggles because of the shine off the cue ball. Ha Ha.:beer:

Ghostdriver

Um, I was wearing safety glasses when the motor mount bolt fell on my head, which I'm sure the bolt saw on it's way down, which is why it decided my forehead was a much softer landing spot.

jollyroger

Um, I was wearing safety glasses when the motor mount bolt fell on my head, which I'm sure the bolt saw on it's way down, which is why it decided my forehead was a much softer landing spot.
The falling bolts, dropped wrenches, sand, gravel and grease ALWAYS find the most inopportune place to land when you are the person under the vehicle. Mouth, Ear hole, Nose and Eyes are always my personal favorite. :|

zout

Ghostdriver - rule of thumb is:

If someone was up above and working and you were on a creeper underneath on the oposite side and totally away from the other person - if they dropped a bolt - it would hit you no matter where you are.

If you are the only one working on it from above and you have a pan of oil - antifreeze - gear oil - whatever and you dropped a bolt - no matter where that pan is - the bolt will land in it - and with no doubt a wrench dropped will as well.

At the most relaxed time and all is going very well - things will take a major crap at anytime just beause of Murphy does not like things going easily.

IF you drop a bolt or nut or clip inside on a clean swept floor - look outside first - cause that is probably where it ran off to. Looking on that clean floor is a waste of time because of Murphy.

Jolly - I am too old to take things the wrong way and too hard skinned.[thumbzup]

Oldfart

Ghostdriver and I did some work today that we thought might allow us to start her engine. Close only counts in horse shoes. We did get some burps, but we seem to be lacking fuel. We will inspect the fuel filter in the tank first and then progress through the carb.

Attachments