• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M44 Series Oil Changes

Opie

Thoughts on the Deuce-inspired oil changing process after a first experience:

<UL>
* There are two oil drain plugs in the oil pan. DON'T head immediately for the obvious one near the nose of the truck. If you start with the one BEHIND the front axle you won't have the pressure of all 22 quarts pushing out at once. I did and the 1" spout neck of my huge funnel was quickly overwhelmed. Probably wouldn't have hurt to have actually HAD a five gallon bucket on hand to catch everything. (Thought I'd use the funnel to put a gallon into a milk jug - WRONG!)

* Give ample time for the oil to drain out of the filters before diving in to change them. (Longhunter & - thanks for the tip!) There was about an hour between "Engine Stop" and the filter change in my instance. Don't yet know about shorter intervals.

* The oil filter housings required a 7/8" socket, and the drain plugs were something strange like 15/16" (I'll need to check - it was nearly an inch)

* Plenty of newspaper on the ground is nice when doing this at a relative's house. Rubber gloves and glasses/safety goggles aren't bad either. (#$%^ five-year old rust falling in your face from arund the drain plug!)

* Hang out down there and discover all sorts of grease fittings and other things you'd never imagined from the world above - quite enlightening!
[/list]
Question for the forum:

Unlike DR and Bjorn I'll be pushing it to rack up a thousand miles a year. In a temperate clime like that of Virginia, how often should I change the oil with the truck in civilian hands?

Every two or three years? I can't really see doing it more often if Rotella T at Sam's is $40 a case.

Desert Rat

The TM says for the most part once every three months or 3,000 miles, much like a car. The reason is because the diesel engine produces acidic carbon in the cylinder and it gets into the oil and loves to eat parts. The more you drive it the better performance you get from it because the acid is washed away by the oil circulating in the engine. Thus the three month 3,000 mile rule. However, waiting for years will produce a laquer type sheen on parts that will kill the engine. I figure if you change once in the fall and once in the spring you should be fine.

painkiller

ohh yeah i know all about the oil comming right out at ya had all that oil comming out and a 15 quart bucket = very messy situation

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say you change oil every 200-300 hours. Running the engine at idle and/or with low operating temperature is a bad thing for the crankcase oil. Water accumulates and acids form (see Brent's post above). That's why the discussions on winter front/engine temp etc in other places.

A few years ago I started to use the engine oil analysis program available via engine manufacturers, see results below. Costs about $25 each time and they will tell you if you need to change oil or not.

Opie

Ok, the oil needs to be changed rather frequently. How about the filters? I'f I'm not running the engine often, is that an every 3,000 miles thing, then?

And here I was all excited because my Duece came with all service records showing they did a "MAJOR" servicing 1 year ago and only put 3 hours and 75 miles on it before I got it. Good thing I was up in truck and tractor country (close to Dieselsmoke) that had a Walmart and Shell Rotella 3 weeks ago. So much for my "stash" of oil. At least I am going to be up there again over the 9th of July so I can replenish my supply - unless DS makes a run on Walmart. [^] [^] [^]
Ok, so now I am off to the garage to get the 5 gal bucket and let 'er drain, (kicking rocks as I go). [complaining] [complaining]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been considering buying a 55 gallon drum. Seen them at Sams once. A friend had 400 bulk gallons for a while but I think he got tired of me asking for oil. When he offered he didn't count on me have enough jerry cans to haul off 50 gallons. His exact word were, bring whatever containers you have and get some of this. I'm down to 10 gallons.

SixBuy

And while we're on it - Where do you get the copper gaskets for the top of the oil filter cans? I reused the old ones but now one is leaking. Is there a standard size or part number?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks