• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M45

jrosbo

I have an older M45 with the gasser. My quetion is After about 30 minutes of operation it starts missing and power declines. I can drive it for about four miles and it starts spitting and sputtering. Sometimes it dies. It will restart and idles fine but it takes time to regain power and it wont last long. It has new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, points condensor. All the original water proof stuff 24v. It has a new electric fuel pump. Also it just doesnt act like it gets full power. Also those are 11.00-20 tires on there,all ten.

Thanks for any help
Joe Rosborough

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
How clean are your gas tank/lines? do you have a pic of your bed from the rear?
that looks like a m34 bed (I think)

jrosbo

Tank has been removed and boiled. Fuel lines appear to be clean on both ends but who knows out in the middle. It does appear to have good flow.
The round tank is gone and a new square style tank is on there and it is the one that was boiled and dipped.

Attachments

Jones

Might throw fresh fuel filters in. The paper element filters do a good job of keeping the junk out of fuel but will also absorb water if it's present. Once the paper is water saturated, it won't flow fuel. Might also check tank vents; if you're creating a vacuum in the tank, the pump will have a hard time drawing after a while.

jrosbo

Ok lets try this. Everything was filled out and checked. Dont know what is going on. Filled everything out and hit submit again. So lets try it again.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
did you clean out the pickup when you had the tank boiled?
mine is in my garage in peices right now (i am in the process of cleaning it out) the bottom of mine is gummed up with varnish. the very small hole in the bottom of the tube was clogged

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a looksee at the cap too. Older gas fuel tanks had a valve inside the cap that switched it from vented to non vented.
Mr M108

jrosbo

Ok I am going to answer alot of posts. The dash tag says 1960 M45 (44,46,57,58) STK# 2320-8358196. Ser# 129849. REO DIVISION WHITE MOTOR COMPANY. The pick up tube was soaked for a week in parts cleaner and a small bore brush through it and the strainer in carb cleaner then the tube was boiled with the tank. The little round tank is now on my 1958 M49. The fuel pump is a new electric unit. If you remove the line at the carb you have good flow. With it on you can hear the pump build pressure, but I have not let it run free flow long enough to see if it looses volume or builds vacuum in the tank, so I think I will connect a long hose to the carb end of the line and run it into some gas cans to see what happens. What about the coil? Could it be going bad under heat? Anyone know a way to check it?

Attachments

JDS

I would check the spark when it starts cutting out. It isn't uncommon for a coil to get weak when warm. If it is the coil, you should be able to use a standard coil with ~1.5ohm primary resistance. What do you see for oil pressure after 30 minutes? Mine is kinda low at 25psi at speed.

jrosbo

I am not sure, I dont have my gauges working properly yet. If you push on the corners of the cluster panel you get oil pressure and if you push on another corner you might get the temp. It is the next step on my list of things to do. but I think its up around 30 pounds at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle

jrosbo

Gauges

It is missing a couple of the nuts or what ever the four panel screws connect to and I haven't taken the time to investigate it. The screws are just laying in there loose.

Boatcarpenter

Try condenser

I had an MGB that started and ran fine until the temp guage got to 145, then it stumbled a little and then finally died. After sitting long enough for the temp to start dropping(5-8 min) it would start and run fine. Tried everything and it turned out to be a bad condenser. Must have broken down after getting to a certain temp. Changed it and then had no more trouble.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 52 M275 experienced coil problems but it just wouldn't run. As far as the gauges, there is a spider wire on the back side that provides grounds for all gauges, bet there's a problem with that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks