• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M49 deuce generator sourcing

Horst

I am helping a friend to get this deuce tanker running again. One issue we have is getting no charge on the batteries. I cannot find a source for the 25amps generator. Truck sits on the West Coast. Anyone has a lead?IMG_6571.JPG

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second using a civilian alternator as per the threads on this site. Did it and never looked back. The military ones are ancient, huge and expensive.

A good shop that does starters and alternators can rebuild them.
If your military alternator is a reasonably modern one, the regulator is in the end cap and available as a replacement part.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Crazyguyla

Troubleshooting the generator is the similar to a starter. The first check would be to remove the belts and run power through the field coil to see if the generator spins. If it does, you have successfully polarized the generator and it should work. If not, it could be dirty commutator or worn brushes. The generators are out there, but you'll have better luck looking for parts for an M38, M38A1, or M37 since those vehicles had generators exclusively. Is the generator a Delco or Prestolite? If the truck has sat for a long time, the generator may have lost its residual maganatizim/polarity and will not charge until it is polarized again. Generators are cheaper than a military alternator and the adaptor cable needed.

Horst

that thing amazes me. Did sit for years. Installed new batteries, pushing the starter button less than a second and it did run.

It has a very high idle, what would make that happen and how can I correct it?

Being a fuel truck, it did sit most of it's life, it has only 800 miles on the odometer and was rebuild at Barstow with 50 miles ;)

Only thing which is a shame that it is the non-turbocharged engine...

Tanker1.jpg

Last edited:

HDN

Only thing which is a shame that it is the non-turbocharged engine...
I don't think you're losing much missing the turbo. They only added about 5 horsepower and not all of them have an obvious whistle. If anything I find a non-turbo truck desirable because you can shut it down faster from not having to worry about cooking the turbo, especially if you don't have a pyrometer. My wife hates waiting for the truck to idle 5 minutes before shutdown :p

I don't mind my diesels smoking like ALCOs :driver:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The idle speed is adjustable. Being a fuel truck, I do not know if it has a throttle in the rear that might be partially pulled. Better check that.
Otherwise: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/how-to-set-deuce-idle-speed.124629/

The "turbo kits" are still available from vendors. It contains everything but the turbocharger itself in order to convert the naturally aspirated multi to a turbo. As it was said...less smoke but otherwise do not expect too much.
There are people that love their whistling screamer of a C-turbo. I find them fun for about 15 minutes, then they become really annoying to me in the cab. I prefer my D. It boosts better, too. To each his own. I think I would leave the truck original. So many were turbo equipped; there is not a whole lot of naturally aspirated ones around.

Good score and I hope you have fun with it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks