• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M49 Its alive!

jrosbo

I put the motor in that I got from BFR. Hooked the Mep 026c that I got from Howards for 50 bucks to the battery cables since I don't have batteries yet and made a make shift fuel source by putting gas in a gear lube bottle, clamping a rubber hose to it and hooking the hose to a nipple screwed into the carb where the fuel line goes and hanging it above the carb. Hit the starter and she came to life. Now there is new hope for this old truck. As soon as I get the roof and windshield and hood off it will go into my shop area for a complete frame off restore.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey jrosbo, congrats on getting the ole deuce to come to life. What I want to know is, where did the name Mable come from? :)

I know the feeling of bringing an old soldier to life. The M35A2 I used to have was missing the clutch linkage, had a fork truck hole in the rad, was missing the alt, had rats nest wiring, and no batts.

I made a trip to Howard's and got all the goodies except the batts, picked up new batts from a dealer, and hauled butt down to MS from TN. Me and a few of the seller's MV buddies spent the better part of a day putting everything back together. When it fired up and drove we were all jumping up and down. I then proceded to drive it 3 hours home to Memphis with my wife following in the CUCV. What an awesome experience!!

Good luck with your resto!

Chris

jrosbo

Mable

This truck was adopted by the forest service back in the 70's and was there through the mid 80's when it was adopted by a county fire dept. It was retired from service in the 90's and bought but one of the firemen that used her. When I asked him about the name mable he said that when they used it as a brush truck/ water tanker there was no where the old sow couldn't go hence the name old mable (cow), mable for short.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Mable

Is the MABLE picture reversed, or was the name painted on like that so people in front looking in the rear view could read it? Like the AMBULANCE / ECNALUBMA on the front of meat wagons?