• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M4A1 found in Manila Bay

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Saw in a two week old Army Times today that had a story about a M4A1 Sherman in Manila Bay. A dredge hit it in about 20 feet of water. The tank had no tracks and missing the turret. There was a photo of it but I have no way of scanning it in. The photo showed that it appeared to be full of mud but well preserved. The story also mentioned they dredged up a Jap 105mm artillery piece nearby the same point last month.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love stories about recovering old pieces. In the latest After the Battle, there's an article on recovering a Stewart from under the street over in europe.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The Hemmings motor news has a listing for two German 1/2 tracks, 25k each.
Anyone want to buy a house, I think I can get the wife convienced to live in 2 halftracks!!

Uh, she said no.

I'll have to look that up though. Man I'd love to have a piece of WWII armor.

dittle

From what we've heard out under one of the hangers at MSP they buried some tanks (Stuarts if I remember correctly) after WWII. Don't think those will be recovered anytime soon, unfortunately.

bigelk50

Jay I would be game to do that!! You know that there are tons and tons of our iron every where.

I worked with a guy who served in Vietnam and said that they were stationed on some peninsula (I forget where) and before they left to go home when the war was over, they dug a huge hole (had cats and other machinery) and drove in a deuce and a 5 ton. Then they took everything out of the tents and "post" and threw in the hole. Covered it all up and flew out of there.

I assume the story is true the guy is a stand up guy and even got a purple heart.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with living in a old missile silo is that the dumb a$$ russians still have it listed as a target for a NUKE!! :cry:
Very true! Although, having grown up in New Jersey, I've been on hit lists before (no joke - there's good [mafia] reason I never moved back there!)

As for being in a First Strike area... Since most of the military's Intell Training happens right here at Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX AND Johnson&Johnson's Ethicon facility where almost all of the free world's sutures (surgical stitches) are produce is here also.... We are a FIRST STRIKE target anyway. They'll want to destroy the intell training AND our ability to mend the troops and civilian casualties. - - - And to think I left the NYC area, for the Washington DC area, and now simply changed my targeting geography....<sigh>

NOW WE RETURN TO OUR ORIGINAL THREAD TOPIC....... (sorry for the temporary hijacking of this thread, guys.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks