• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M50A1 Ontos, good buy? Any way to convert to 4bt or 6bt cummins diesel?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By all means, come save them! Two of them have been burnt and are in really bad shape, would make good display's in a battlefield scene, but I can't justify paying to save them.
I would love to but shipping would be double their cost.

Jerry

I have rebuilt 1 Ontos M50A1 and showed it at Camp Delta in California this year and am well along on completing a second.

My suggestion is that you forget about any engine swapping as the clearance between the heads and the armor is about a quarter inch. To change a spark plug requires that the engine and transmission be removed! There isn't space to do modifications.

My main reason for considering a different engine was because I did not have an original engine to use. I have since found what I think/hope is the original V8 engine, if that is the case I will use it, if it's rebuildable of course. The cost of buying a 4bt cummins was a big deterrent.

B3.3T

The beauty on the Ontos' track is that the actual rubber track portion can be replaced using modern heavy duty conveyor belt material. as long as you have original track sections to unbolt the metal parts you're good to go.

dogtags

Thanks. I had forwarded that ad to him already. I thought by your post that you may have found more than what you had listed.

~Robert

Thanks. I had forwarded that ad to him already. I thought by your post that you may have found more than what you had listed.

~Robert

There were 2.25 (1, .75, .5 = 2.25) more hulls there, but we have already scrapped them. They were in VERY rough shape, had each spent some time on an artillery range. The two in that for sale ad are the only ones left, the hull of the one with the tracks on it would make a very nice rig with a little bit of work.

B3.3T, you are tempting me to keep the Ontos! I really wish I could justify keeping it, I just don't have the time or money to restore it like it needs. It would end up a glorified playtoy for me and likely never be restored to look original.

On a side note, I will include two distributors, and a carburetor with the Ontos, stuff that came off the 113 chassis vehicles I have now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks