• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m51 Detroit diesel swap

dollarhide

I just bought a 1962 m51 with the gas engine. I was thinking about putting a 8v71 detroit in it. I don't know too much about the gas engine in this truck just wondering what you guys think about it.the truck needs some help so I'm not too worried about keeping it original

armytruck63

The truck is designed for the R6602 gas engine, which is a 2800 RPM engine. The 8V71 is a 2100 RPM engine in stock form, so without gearing changes or much bigger tires, you will actually have a lower top speed.

I myself would make sure the gas engine is running in top tune and live with it as the truck was meant to be.

ReoRider

The 6602 is one beautiful engine, top drawer at the time it was introduced. Its wide RPM range, for its displacement, was/is impressive. What you plan to use the truck for will determine if it will serve you well. I've pulled both light and heavy loads with one for years, and by choice changed the transmission to the 5th overdrive version from the later multifuel. If you learn to work both gear boxes (xfer and xmission) together this will give you some more flexibility in hills and in highway speed. Probably best to check out the condition of the engine and go from there.

fasttruck

Remember everything that hooks up from the chassis to the engine will be in a different place and the radiator will have to be replaced too. With enouigh time and money anything is possible but do want to put that into this ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks