• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51 Dump Bed Operation?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
What is the basic operating sequence for the dump bed? Getting the basics would be great so i can see if it functions.

Edit: Have read the ENTIRE TM now :D

Last edited:

charlesmann

In your -10, operators manual, I used the table of content to find page 35, which explains the control levers and their functions and positions for operation and page 103 describes the operation sequence of the dump controls.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lever pivots near the floor. When the lever is all the way up, everything is disconnected. From there you can depress the clutch, move the lever forward and down and release the clutch gently. The bed will rise. Once the drive is engaged, you can cycle through the functions of the lever. As mentioned, all the way down, raises the bed, move it up a bit and that will be neutral, farther up will lower the bed. There are little nuances and you really need to read the -10 operators manual before you fool with the bed.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know your mother might have said not to play with it. For now your truck does not have a PTO winch so other than not pushing pushing in the clutch to engage the PTO for the dump bed play with it. Now that is after you read the TM's I should add to cover my donkey.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I know your mother might have said not to play with it. For now your truck does not have a PTO winch so other than not pushing pushing in the clutch to engage the PTO for the dump bed play with it. Now that is after you read the TM's I should add to cover my donkey.
Was a very good read, will be interesting to see if it works. Will make unloading those trips to Home Depot that much easier :D

tobyS

I extended the handle on mine and it's easier to access. The 929 operates differently for engaging the pto but the lift-down lever works the same.

Oshkosh had some new gates also. A straight gate changes the looks ( and operates better).

Attachments

tobyS

It's the cut up handle of a floor nailer tool. I siliconed it over the OEM stub handle. When I hauled about 120 loads with my 817, I got tired reaching back and didn't like the small cast handle so found this extension for the 929.

162tcat

If it doesn’t engage the PTO when you pull the lever down, try leaving the trans in gear to stop it from spinning when you pull the dump lever down. My 817 was happier doing it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fasttruck

The TM also explains how the 2 way tailgate works and how to arrange the chains to limit the swing of the gate so you can restrict how far it opens which allows you to spread material with the truck rather than dump it in a pile and use another machine to do it.

Attachments

charlesmann

The TM also explains how the 2 way tailgate works and how to arrange the chains to limit the swing of the gate so you can restrict how far it opens which allows you to spread material with the truck rather than dump it in a pile and use another machine to do it.
Its amazing what the -10 will tell ya if a person just reads it

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Yep, a wealth of technical information. I like to put that info with first hand experience to get the best of both worlds :)

fasttruck

The biggest secret in the United States Army is its publications system. They have manuals for everything. You have no idea how much military equipment is lost from untrained personnel with unauthorized tools and parts trying to repair it.

fasttruck

Reference is made to post 17: it is possible to move the truck with the PTO (at least on a M817) engaged which, if you are spreading material as shown in post 13 you will have to keep raising the body as the load pays out. Just beware of overhead wires and tree branches. Obviously this is at slow speed for short distances. You see pics from time to time of dump truck operators who forgot the disengage the pump and then drove at highway speeds as the body slowly crept up and then hit a very expensive bridge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks