• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51 series winch conversion to Hydraulic

Edward Stephens

I have a five ton wo/W that I want to add a hydraulic front winch to. I have a PTO for a PTO winch, and a PTO winch. I dont have the propeller shaft so I want to go hydraulic. Can I run it with the accessory drive? What motor do I need? I can live with civilian parts that will work. I have seen the thread where the fellow put the hyd. winch on his deuce with the valve under the seat, I plan to do something similar. I eventually want to add a commerical hydraulic dump and maybe a rear winch. Thank you for your healp.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use the accessory drive but they are kind of scarce and expensive. If you have room you can mount the pump out the front. I did it with a deuce- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...t-dump-project&p=714471&viewfull=1#post714471 . A 5-ton PTO is mounted on the other side of the truck so I'm unsure if you have the room do do it like I did.

I don't know what size motor you need but you can figure it yourself. Take the line pull (20,000lbs), multiply it by the drum radius in inches, divided by the winch gear ratio. The number you come up with will be the torque you need in inch/pounds. Most hyd motors are rated in inch/pounds torque. You'll need to spec out your motor first and then match a pump that will deliver the psi and gpm needed for the motor.

The pump you come up with will also be capable of running a dump and rear winch with the proper valving.

Edward Stephens

Thanks for your help. My five ton is pretty tight between the frame and transmission so I may not be able to mount the pump off the front of the PTO. Accessory drives can be had but they arent common for sure. The winch I bought came off a 5 ton in a scrap yard, so I should be able to use a similar motor to what is on the A3 series trucks. I am going to plumb in a 4 spool valve to power the front winch, rear winch( smaller to drag stuff on a 10t trailer) dump bed and a set of tractor style remotes for moving farm equipment. The front winch should be the determining factor, the rest of the stuff can operate at whatever speed it wants.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From what I understand, the 5t winch converted to hyd (900 5t) will NOT FIT the 39/809 series 5t because there is a relief on the right side for the hyd. motor on the 900 5ts that is NOT there on the 39/809 series

What truck are you talking about, the m51 in the title of this thread IS a 5t DUMP and ALREADY has hyd. which could be modded to drive what ever you want, if you ARE talking about a m51, is it a m51, m51a1, or m51a2, knowing this will help in specing a after market pump and engine drive if needed.

goldneagle

I would think getting a missing propeller shaft would be a cheaper route to take. I am sure someone could give you the spec's on it. Then you can get a machine shop to put one together for you. All it is is a skinny drive shaft.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
sure makes thinks easier if we know what truck we are talking about

Last edited:

supermechanic

Dear Ed Stephans, Please be advised that if you do go the hydraulic route to be sure the control valve used is a motor valve.
A cylinder valve can ruin a motor if you go from pressure to neutral abruptly. Motor valve has internal pressure checks at the valve spool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks