• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2 Broke Could use some info.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Turn on the power like you do before you start the truck.
Pop the hood and climb on the drivers side fender.
Looking at the secondary(fuel) filters on the side of your motor you will see a bleeder on the top, in the middle. Crack it open till you get a solid stream of fuel.

Start truck!

This:

"My wife lined up the timing while I rotated the drive line, so now I'm getting nervous... o_O"

Makes me think something was done wrong.

You should have had the harmonic balancer at the lds/ldt mark and then lined up the scored disk with the tooth in the 4 bolt window. Thats it, nothing else.

Tototex

The harmonic balancer is the 3 lines on the crank right? I had her watch for the LDS/LDT line while I was underneath rotating the drive line. I verified the mark was lined up after it was done. She said the front rocker arm had just went down and came back which is the intake. So it should have been on the compression TDC.

Then I lined up the scored disc in the inspection window on the pump, then I also made sure the red tooth was visible.

I am positive that all 3 marks were where they needed to be.

Im am not 100% positive I wasn't 180 off but I am mostly sure I was on compression TDC.

I'll bleed my fuel filters in the morning as well as try some ether.

Tototex

She starts! Ether didn't do anything at first. I went ahead and took my air filter out and sprayed 1 second into the pipe and she fired right up. It stays running as long as I keep the RPMs up but as soon as I let them down close to idle it just dies. I sat in there for 5 minutes letting her warm up and it still dies when I come down to idle.

The IP I took off was turned up for power. I noticed it has twice the length of bolt sticking out of the governor compared to the IP I just installed. Do you think I just need to turn the fuel up?

I also noticed a good amount of air in the clear lines going from the injectors and also tot he intake manifold heater. Could air potentially be part of the issue still?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you could try and turn up the fuel if all is correct. I would not worry about a small amount of air in the injector return lines. The fuel has been compressed to close to 3500 psi then the extra released to the open return after the injector popped.

Tototex

Im sure this has been asked on here a dozen times but Im not finding answers as clear as I would like.

Is there a TM that walks you through turning up the fuel?

It looks like I just loosen the outer nut, than tighten the inner nut a little. Maybe 1/4 to half a turn. Then tighten the outer nut to the inner nut. And for the love of god dont let the bolt rotate. Saw a handful of people crying over that mistake.

Does this sound right? I dont need to actually remove the top plate held on with the 4 bolts? Just use the two nuts outside of that plate?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yup

And there should be a sticky in the 2.5 ton forum for the fuel adjustment.

Tototex

Sidenote, I think my thermostat is stuck. After running for about 3 minutes or so, fluid starts squirting out my radiator overflow.

Can I just remove my thermostat from the housing without replacing it?

Tototex

Welp, My LD-461 IP which I took out was turned up. I counted 8 threads visible. So on my LDS-461 IP and I tightened the bolt until about 7 threads were visible. The LD IP was turned up to much so I figured one less thread would do.

She started up and idled rough. I let it run about 10 minutes and it straightened out and idled pretty well. I drove it down the hill (I live on a mountain) which went well. At the bottom I turned around to come back up. While still on the flat it started to run rough and than died. Maybe an air bubble? Started right back up. She was running rough again so I revved it up to keep it going. Got into the top end of second gear, about to shift into 3rd when I heard a loud pop and she died.... Oh god no!

Popped the hood and I can see my front head gasket sitting on my fan belt. Perhaps I turned the motor up to much? Maybe the LDS IP has a higher output than the LD IP?

I just happen to have spare head gaskets for the heads as I just changed them out a few months ago. Guess I will be repeating the process now. :(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a pyro and boost gauge anytime you make a considerable change in the fuel delivery system.

No, you can't run it(long term) without a thermostat.

Tototex

I took the heads into the machine shop and they said they were perfectly flat and didn't need any work.

I got some things to do before winter sets in so the truck just got shifted to the back burner.

Bought the bullet and paid a company to bring my last load of gravel out, and sure enough the guy forgot to set his chain and dumped the whole 15 yards of gravel in one spot.

Today sucks. Managed to blow up my truck and get 19 tons of gravel to spread out.