• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2 with LDT 465-1C engine

swigs84

first of all i am new here. i am a civilian contractor for the army and work on all kinds of militaty vehicles but have never messed with an LDT 465-1C motor. My neighbor has a 1971 model M51A2 5 ton with a 1975 white LDT 465-1C motor in it......i am not even sure if they put these motors in this truck but he says the guy he got it from swapped out the motor. He can not get the thing to run and wants me to fix it for him. It is getting fuel up to the injector pump but nothing after that. He said the piston in the injector pump head was froze up so he dumped some kind of solvent down it and got it freed up. He has another used injector pump he got for it but i am just wondering if i should try and swap the ip heads out first and see what happens or go ahead and just change out the whole pump? any help is greatly appreciated

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome. He DIDN'T get the head freed up if it isn't running. Swap out the hydraulic head, it is easier than doing the whole IP.

swigs84

thats kinda what i am thinking but he said he got the piston in the head to move after putting the solvent in it. i havent really looked at it to close yet. i just went over and got the numbers off the engine so i could get the manuals for it

swigs84

is there anything special i need to know about swapping out the heads before i do it.........i havent really looked at my books yet

gimpyrobb

Yeah, lots of info on here about swapping the HH. A search of the deuce forum should get you the info needed.

gimpyrobb

Ehh, 6 of one, a half dozen another. No- originally they had an LDS motor, but there is only about 50hp between the two(LDT and LDS).

M813A1

You can download all of the tech manuals here from this site !! That might give you a good starting place to do the work on your friends truck !

gimpyrobb

Sorry to say, the TM section has passed away on our site. We now get to send people to other sites, many commercial, which seems like promotion of their sites(cheer-leading according to our rules), which isn't really allowed here, but since we can't figure out how to get them back up, I guess its OK.

swigs84

ive already gotten the manuals just need to look through them and see what i am dealing with before i go mess with it. It might be awhile before i get to work on it, it is sitting in the middle of a pasture and the weather here has sucked lately

swigs84

ok i need some help here. i was finally able to get out and work on this truck this weekend. the piston in the hh was moving but not every much so i pulled it apart when i got it off the little button on the bottom and the clip that holds it on were just sitting in the bottom. I got it all put back together and the piston moved fine now but the truck still would not run so i ended up swapping out the whole injector pump with another pump the guy had and it still doesnt run. im in the exact same place as i was when i started there is fuel at the pump just nothing getting to the injectors. i know everything is timed right. i dont know what the chance of this other pump he had being bad. can someone please help me out here.

The solvent he dumped in most likely ruined the injection head anyway. Swap out the section and hope for the best. Its a shame the TM section failed, it was a great resource.

pigfoot63

We had a re-power program in the mid eighties and swapped out a bunch of these trucks both deuce & five tons to the multi-fuel engines. Are you sure you have fuel at the pump. Did you check the fuel shut off,

swigs84

the TM is kind of confusing on this.....is the red tooth suppose to be lined up with the pointer or one tooth to the right of the pointer. first it says line up the marks on the hub and just make sure the red tooth can be seen then goes down and says it needs to be lined up and then another part says one tooth to the right. the way i have it timed now the red tooth is lined up with the pointer

gimpyrobb

The pointer should be in the "valley" of the tooth, not the point. Not much difference, but might effect timing.

swigs84

well after taking two junk injector pumps and trying to make one good one i finally got the thing running, only problem is its running at wide open throttle so now i have to take the governor off the other pump and put on this one.....hopefully i can do it with the pump still in the truck i really dont want to take that thing out again. Thanks for all of you guys help with this pile of junk

swigs84

well after swapping out the governor section of the pump i got it running well enough to drive it to my house to try and fix some of the rest of the stuff wrong with it.....a lot of fun with no brakes AT ALL. I should of never said i would work on this truck it is in pretty sorry shape, it has deffinatly been used hard. after driving it the 1/4 mile to my house it blew out both oil filter gaskets. someone has rigged up the fuel system pretty bad....nothing hooked up on the drivers side tank at all........just runs off of an inline 12v pump off the passenger side tank right now which is wired up with house wire. there is a BUNCH of water in the oil which i dont know is from sitting for so long or if it blew a head gasket the first time i got it to start and it went straight to wide open throttle. not a single gauge in the truck works. for some reason i kind of enjoy working on this thing though haha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks