• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2W/W help needed

dirthauler

I am new to this site and have just bought my first mv. It is a M51A2W/W dump truck with a Hercules LDS 465-1 mulfi-fuel engine. How do tell what year model the truck is? It will not crank and there is no fuel at the injector lines. I have bled the air at the primary and secondary filters. I need to know how to prime the injectors. Any help is appreciated.

dirthauler

The engine will turn over but will not fire. It is a fuel problem but I don't know anything about injector pumps.
I am a pretty good mechanic, but do not know much about diesels. Looks like I am going to learn though.
Plates on the dash Vehicle serial number 5123-12400 Fed stock number 2320-055-9263 ord serial number 8736516
overhauled TB9-2300-390-50 usa mp-boeblingen March 73 ODM 22,996

jwright

Just undo one of the fuel line at one of the injectors and crank it over until you start getting fuel out of the line. Tighten the line back up and redo it again at the next injector.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Make sure the fuel shutoff is not sticking.....just to be sure take the cable off where it goes into the injector pump and hit the mechinism with some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench while working it back and forth.

There is an in tank fuel pump on this truck (drivers side tank)....when you flip the battery switch you should hear or feel it vibrate.

That indicates that it is running (running does not mean it is pumping). To see if it is pumping crack the fitting where it comes out of the tank and see if fuel comes out.

If it is running but not pumping you will have to take it out and see if the plate on the bottom of the pump has come off (this happens).

If it is not running there is a fuse under a cover held down by three nuts. Pull fuse and check. If the fuse is bad you can get them at NAPA......be prepared to lube up...they are not cheap. It is a slow blow fuse....replace it with the same.

If the pump is running and actually pumping fuel you should be able to open the bleeder on the primary filter (don't know where it is on your dump) and have fuel run out.

If you have fuel to the primary go to the secondaries and crack the bleeder valve on top (7/16ths wrench) and see if fuel will run out of there.

If you have fuel pumping to the secondaries you need to crack the line where it goes into the injector pump and see if you have fuel there.

If you have fuel there crack the injector line on one of the middle injectors (9/16ths wrench) and crank the engine over......if the IP is working there should be fuel to the line. Fuel should spray out from under the line nut as the engine turns over. White smoke coming out of the stack will also tell you if you are getting fuel to the cylinders.

You will need a good hot set of batteries to do this...if necessary charge both of them until you get max voltage.....if you have someone with another MV and a set of slave cables you can hook them up to keep the engine turning fast.

You can use a small dose of starting fluid but be very careful....you can do major damage with it.

If the multi-fuel has fuel and air and turns over good it should crank.

dirthauler

Worked on the truck a few hours today and found I have an injector pump problem. Went through all the tips wreckerman893 gave. Plenty of fuel to the injector pump but it ain't pumping anything.
Took the injector lines loose at the top of the pump and found rusty looking fuel/water in one hole.
I assume something is stuck in the injector pump so it has got to come off. Now my question is how to take it off of the engine. This is an all wheel drive and looks like there is not enough room to drop the pump out the bottom. Do you have to remove the truck fender?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is an all wheel drive and looks like there is not enough room to drop the pump out the bottom. Do you have to remove the truck fender?
I have pulled them off an engine that was already out of a truck......it looks pretty tight in there....maybe someone else can chime in a give you the path of least resistance.

This is one of those situations where you know the design engineer had never turned a wrench in his life.

dirthauler

wreckerman893;767874 This is one of those situations where you know the design engineer had never turned a wrench in his life.[/QUOTE said:
Yeah, I think all design engineers should have to work on what they design. Hope I don't have to pull the engine to remove the pump.

fasttruck

Remember the I{ is timed to the engine. I have seen experienced and "trained" army mechanics have trouble putting it back on and keeping everything in time. Those guys also took the left front fender off to get room. Steering gear was also in the way.