• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52 on 16x20 XZL's

m.walker

The truck rides 100 times better and a higher top speed , and after a little while I'll find out if I get better gas mileage ! It gets a lot of attention now ( even more than before ) !! I have not finished the paint on them yet I was in too big of a hurry to drive it ! I got a good deal on them from Daniel at USA6X6 . I can't believe how much of a difference just changing tires makes ! I'll let you know if there are any downfalls to the bigger tires but so far it's all positives . Now if only I can figure out how big a tire will fit on the M750 , because it has enough room to still clear the trailer at the fifthwheel ! Mark

Attachments

kurtb

How close together are the rear duals? With the front and rear tires different in size do you need to disengage the front axle?

M1075

I believe the wheels and tires are all the same, although they may look different in the last pic. USA6x6 charges $220 and up for the wheels.

Westech

CPL
that would be a 6602 gasser. Im glad to see that the motor has enough power to make that truck clip along.. My friend has a m54 and we have a set of the 14:00 xl's that are going on there in a couple weeks. make me feel better about sticking that big of a tire on that truck now

m139h2otruck

Gassers!!

While the 800 series trucks seem to go better (read more torque) I still like gassers. This M52 should be able to do close to 70 mph with these tires, based on a 2800-3000 rpm redline. Should cruise empty at 60 easy.

Towman2277

RE: Gassers!!

I wonder why people always assume that the gasser 6602 isn't very strong? I've got the original 14:00's....and I can run the same speed and accelerate just as fast ( i thinker faster) than the local fire dept's 5-ton with the multi diesel, and they got 12:00's!!! I know that I can hold 45 mph on the interstate on a bridge thats steep, in 5th......and they have to down shift to climb it! Now I keep my truck right on the money, freshly tuned....maybe thats why. I'll play tug of war anyday with someone else!! [thumbzup]

m139h2otruck

I also like the gear ratios much better in the gear box. The OD box has a big hole 2nd to 3rd that even with the M812A1 empty is noticeable. I can start out empty in 2nd with the gasser water truck which must weigh at least as much as the M812A1, while the OD box bothers, again even with the big Cummins torque.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Gassers!!

Towman2277 said:
I wonder why people always assume that the gasser 6602 isn't very strong? I've got the original 14:00's....and I can run the same speed and accelerate just as fast ( i thinker faster) than the local fire dept's 5-ton with the multi diesel, and they got 12:00's!!! I know that I can hold 45 mph on the interstate on a bridge thats steep, in 5th......and they have to down shift to climb it! Now I keep my truck right on the money, freshly tuned....maybe thats why. I'll play tug of war anyday with someone else!! [thumbzup]
I would assume your truck is equipped with 10.26 gears, not the 6.44's of most (non-bridge truck) 5-tons? That would explain it.

m.walker

RE: Re: RE: Gassers!!

It pulls great no problems at all , on flat ground I still take off in second 1st is still too short !While accelerating through the gears it seems the motor doesn't notice the bigger tires but the ground speed picks up much faster , It actually can keep up with traffic instead of everyone pulling away from you . On a hill I use first . By far the best improvement you can make on these trucks , it actually makes the truck easier to drive ( if that makes sense ) . Man I don't know my top end but it's a lot faster !!! No rubbing whatsoever even though it looks it on the front , while turning the closest the tires come is an 1 1/2 inches from the front bumper to the tire ( at the front of the tire ) so cycling of the suspension won't affect it .

m139h2otruck

I would be surprised if Towman's truck has 10.26 gears. All the info I have read says that the M139's used with the Honest John Launcher system are the only 5 tons with this low ratio. If this were the case his figured top speed would only be about 40-45 mph @ 2800 rpm using 1400x20 tires.

Towman2277

Nope, i've got the 6.44's. My top speed is 55 mph and I turn right at 2800 then. Maybe I just have a tight motor?!? It's only got 2,000 miles on the truck since last rebuild. I normally take off in second, and the motor doesn't lug one bit. :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks