• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A and yet another noob with qeustions that probably have been asked before!

kilbrew

Hi all, I've been trolling around here for a little while finding all sorts of good info. I've been looking to buy a deuce but have recently found this 5 ton up for auction locally. From what I can determine it was a tractor and has been converted to a flatbed. So some of my questions: Would it be feasible to convert this over to a stock bed? Maybe have to shorten up a stock bed due to shortened wheelbase? I know fuel mileage is not great on these but definitely would make a great recovery vehicle for future projects. I do have a class B license so should be fine (legally) driving this. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Auction details: Army Truck - 1968 Kaiser, M52a/a w/w - means flat bed, diesel-mutli fuel engine, 11.00 x 20 tires, front wench, 5-speed manual transmission, 15959.0 miles, hard cab, runs good, 5 ton 6x6, M52a w/w
DT150_29-001.JPG

DT150_29-002.JPG

DT150_29-004.JPG

DT150_29-005.JPG

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those M52 series trucks are getting harder to find in nice shape as time goes on. I'd say pull the flatbed, put the fifth wheel back on, and do a 24087 paint job with a yellow nose and white lettering for that Vietnam look. My two cents.

kilbrew

If I can get it for a reasonable price (i'm cheap):), I'll grab it up. I haven't been to see it in person yet, but the pics look decent. I was also thinking of putting the fifth wheel back on, then all I've got to do is find a decent trailer to haul everything with and probably might as well step up to class A license while I'm at it. They say it runs good, it is a township vehicle so who really knows!

m816 someday

i have a m51 dump and a m543a2 the truck i want most is a m52a2 please put it back to stock it would be sad to see another one go under the knife.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fifth wheels for 5-tons are easy to find, junkyards are littered with the remains of M52 and M818 series trucks. I'm sure there's someone on this site that has a parts truck that can sell a cheap fifth wheel to you.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to search long and hard to find a M52a2. I could have gotten a 800 series easily. I'm glad i waited. These trucks are getting harder to find. Most i have seen are restored already. If you can get it then please do so. Save it from the butcher knife if you can. Finding a replacement fithwheel isn't too hard. Most surplus venders can supply you with one. Keep us posted.

vtdeucedriver

Let me be a Salesman of the year for the early 5 tons!!!

Here is my M52A2. The trailer is a M-127 Stake & Platform Trailer. I know who has a 5th wheel off a 5 ton so thats not a problem. You will also need the toolbox and spare rack and I know where there is one of those too. I am in VT so I dont know where your at exactly in NY but I am hoping that you get the truck and its east NY so I may see it some time!!

You could put a deuce bed on it and it fits and looks pretty nice BUT you should make it back to a tractor.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

I did a repaint of my bumper markings from the 64th Trans to the 359th Trans Co. The 359th used the M-131 trailer that was 5,000 gallons of Petrolium fluids. I had known a couple of members of the 359th for 12 yrs now and when I first bought it, he would always harass me to change the numbers. Well I gave in this time last yr and put it in his unit markings and then gave it his truck number. Last yr in June, he came up to Ft Drum NY to see it.

The 2nd pic is his demonstration on his technique on how to pee while in a moving convoy.:beer:

Attachments

kilbrew

Love the pics, those are some nice trucks you have. I'm thinking strongly about converting it back. Hate to destroy a piece of history. I have a line on a deuce with a trailer but it might be a little more than I need to spend right now. I can't figure out what the township did with a truck like the one I'm looking at. It isn't set up for spreading salt, hauling a tank, cutting grass etc.

KsM715

As long as you dont cut the frame your not hurting anything by putting a bed on it. I have an M818 Im putting a bed on and exhaust and spare tire davit off a900 series on it. I will stock pile all the removed stock parts and itcould easily be restored back to a tractor in a bout a weekends worth of work.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a recent pic of M818 to give you some ideas. The bed was sectioned out to ten feet bulkhead to tailgate, added deuce rear mudguards and M817/51 dump truck fuel tank protectors. Everything on the M52 is the same as the M818 from the cab on back except the battery box (my box is not a stock M809 series, it's an M939 upgrade).

I agree with others on this. Please don't consider it for a hack job. Those multi-fuel flat-grilles are getting fairly scarce. Putting a bed on won't hurt it a bit.

That flatbed looks kind of cool.

Attachments

Last edited:

kilbrew

No hacking up in the plans, would not want to ruin another piece of history. That would be something I would be interested in tackling. That looks sweet. Hopefully I can get her home and see what I really have to work with, I've got a few days before the sale ends and hopefully it doesn't go sky high on me.

kilbrew

Well, didn't get it. Price held steady at $450 for days. Then day of the auction jumped to $2000. Still a good deal but I was at work and according to various opinions, I need to save my money for my new house we are buying. Go figure, apparently that made sense at some point! Found out it was used to haul salt brine. On the up side, I've found a Deuce that's going to sale. No details on year, engine or any of that yet. I'll be heading out to look at it this weekend and hopefully it doesn't get to out of control on price. For all I know it could be a rust bucket in a field, since I can't get a hold of anyone on the phone to talk about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks