• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52a1 power steering

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the gear box takes gear oil, 1" below fill plug, we used hyd. oil, it is the same as 10wt, but has anti foam and anti corrosion additives for the steering reservoir, I would never run atf in a hyd. system.
If the gear box is fill or mixed with hyd. oil, or leaking everywhere, the piston/cylinder assembly needs to be rebuilt or replaced, the output shaft seal is bad and forcing oil into the gear box.

vtdeucedriver

Thanks ron,
It never worked when I got it running. Now that its back running and moving under its own power so I could get it moved 50 mi from where I kept it for the last 10 yrs. The steering is even worse now. I believe the years of rain and snow has migrated its way down the steering shaft and thats where the stiffness seems to be.

Who did you get the parts from??

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

I need to pull the cab anyways so going through the system will be just another line on the "to do" list. I will say, I am not looking forward to removing the steering wheel.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We got our parts from White Owl, make sure you have hyd. oil or you will burn up the pump, make sure the selector valve is working, It does not move much very easy to miss the movement, the steering shaft comes loose just above the selector valve, there is a seal there that is supposed to keep gear oil in and crap out

vtdeucedriver

Ha, they were my first call anyways :)

Yes I checked the tank, its full. I have another pump that I got years ago as Ive always suspected it. I am sure most MV owners would probably look at this thing and say just part it out and scrap it and get another one. In recent days I have certinly thought about it as it really needs alot of work. But hey if I get another one, I will just want 2.

Besides this one really needs to look nice as it will be extra special to many people that I know.

Ron, did you have any loose mounting bolts?? I remember my CWO friend tell me that it was a constant problem in Vietnam. I have always inspected them for any movement but have never attempted to remove one.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No, everything was tight, though I can see how they could work loose, not many mounting bolts and everything wants to move due to the assets from the cylinder/piston

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From the pump and the return, there are 2 quick disconnects, the old screw type, if these ARE NOT completely connected and tight, they will NOT open the seats which in turn will not allow the oil to flow

If you have new hoses made, save the old hoses, the end fittings are REUSEABLE

vtdeucedriver

From the pump and the return, there are 2 quick disconnects, the old screw type, if these ARE NOT completely connected and tight, they will NOT open the seats which in turn will not allow the oil to flow

If you have new hoses made, save the old hoses, the end fittings are REUSEABLE

Thanks for the heads up on the pump.............Yes I was going to make new hoses using the old fittings. I am a aircraft mechanic. Use Aeroquip fittings all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks