• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 all wheel drive question

63Wfirefighter

You would think someone who was a 63W would remember this but for the life of me I cant remember how you engage and disengage the front axle. We just received this tractor to pull our water tanker for grass fires and structure fires out in the county and I would like to find out how to work the all wheel drive before I get into some mud. Any help would be appreciated.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Front axle engagement is automatic - when then the rear wheels slip, the front axle engages. The proper sprag unit (forward or reverse) is selected pneumatically as the shift lever is moved - that is the whosh-thunk that you hear.

HTH,
David Doyle

63Wfirefighter

Thanks for the info. This truck has gone through some non military mods and has had equipment removed from it and wires disconnected everywhere. I figured somebody removed the manual valve and never replaced it. Ive been getting it back into service for the past few days and have to order a good bit of parts tomorrow and prefered to get it all in one shot and not have to hunt up any parts for the all wheel drive later.

donttreadonmebmg

Drive it up to a big tree and very slowly touch the tree with the front bumper, now let the clutch out a little more and give it some gas and let the wheels spin some. STOP! back up and to check for freshly turned up earth to make sure your front axle has indeed engaged and working. Well that's what I did when I got mine home. ;-)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can download all the Tech Manuals from the Resources tab att the top of the page.

The M52 is part of the M39 Series family.
The Manual numers are TM 9-2320-211-xx and are located on page 8

Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

Also download the Lube Order http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=72

Since the truck has the LDS Multi-Fuel engine you will also want the LDS Trouble Shooting Manual.

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=57