• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 and M871 trailer

jasonjc

The TM has a warning on the back of the front cover that says DO NOT TOW WITH THE M52,M52A1,M52A2.
Use would result in a serious compromise to the safety of personnel and equipment

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Confirmed - I initially said it should not be a problem, but jasonjc is right, the manual states that using a M871 or M871A1 trailer with a M52 series tractor is inherently dangerous.

fasttruck

Probably as m52 has a smaller air pump than a 809 series with the cummins. The 12 ton air over hydraulic brakes had one air cylinder not four. A similar cauton exists with m 872 34 ton trailers which have six air brake chambers.

Autocar

Could be a power issue. Even with the 250 Cummins an 818 struggles to pull M871. I think the M52 is 175 HP, so maybe it can't get out of its own way?

rcflyer70

I appreciate everyone's input...I've put on multiple miles on the one I have without any issues (brakes work great).
Autocar is correct about power, I'll get there but I'll need a sack lunch.

I added a bigger air tank to my m269 wrecker low boy because of the small tank on it . my m52a2 pulls it fine about 45 mph that just what my truck runs . I think the m52a2 could use larger air tanks .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks