• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 recovery from Ft Jackson

AMGeneral

Well folks,I will be leaving Sunday afternoon to go to Ft Jackson and pick up my M52A2 I won from GL last month,I hope to be there about 8 to 8:30 am on Monday,i am driving the M54A1 down to flat tow the A2 home.

I will hopefully remember the camera this time and will post pics and video monday afternoon.

Last edited:

goatijoe

Let me know if ya need anything I'm halfway between you and Columbia. I'm right below charlotte if ya need something. Pm me if ya want my number. :driver:

AMGeneral

Well,the M54A1 is prepped and awating the "GO" signal,leaving here tomorrow at about 1430 hrs.

The tenative schedule is to make the trip to the CAMO compound to pick up the second M52 on March 16 and 17th.

Attachments

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to stop by the compound, give me a call about half an hour before your expected arrival so I can get over there. PM with phone numbers sent.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The tenative schedule is to make the trip to the CAMO compound to pick up the second M52 on March 16 and 17th.
Poke me with a sharp stick the week before and remind me you are going....I have a deuce roosting in my yard that needs to go to Columbus.

I need an excuse to go see that grouchy old fat guy that collects MV's down there anyway.:mrgreen:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brandon, I know you are going to repower that M52A2. I understand your desire to do so as the Mack motor has more beans, but I actually think the LDS produces good power and has a sweet sound. Good luck with your recovery. That is a clean tractor...and the price was right!

AMGeneral

Well, it was a smooth and Murphy free recovery from Jackson,arrived at the DRMO lot about 0900 after some directions from Ferro[thumbzup]. After a short check in and paperwork, I got to the truck about 0915 and started work,after hooking up the towbar and airing up all 10 tires(glad I bought my big compressor) I started meandering my way off base about 10:00.

After stopping on a entrance ramp on I-77 for some minor extra prep work and a few pictures,plus a phone call or 2,I hit the interstate about 11:00 AM,stopped to stockpile on fuel(it's cheaper in SC) I headed home with no issues,arriving home about 2:45,average speed of 50 mph and average mpg of 5.33 loaded or empty.

After getting home and checking the A2 over well,I changed all 3 fuel filters and 1 fuel line,checked everything over and it fired off within 10 engine rotations and ran like a champ,all lights work,gauges work,tach and speedo work,BUT..... this truck has an OD trans vs a direct, no teling how fast it'll run,updates soon.

To everyone that offered help, Thanks !!

VIDEOS!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6x_HsYraQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rG2zt8QZUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw8FQjy6vuQ

Attachments

Last edited:

SCcowgirl80

Seems to me that you hit the jackpot with this truck. Especially when you factor in all the little "extras" you got with it!! Glad it was a good recovery. :jumpin:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice tractor. Quick question, why did you pull the axle shafts as opposed to either pulling the driveshafts or doing nothing? Seems like you are signed up for wheel bearing service now because road grit undoubtably got in the grease and bearings.

sandcobra164

I have dib's on the pretty girl in SCcowgirls giving hugs this year at the rally!!! You Lose WM and I Win!!!. All BS aside, congrats AM, you have yet another MACK conversion on your hands. I wish I could find one, they sound so nice driving them. I've only driven 1 and it's a gun truck but that really is a powerful motor.

AMGeneral

Nice tractor. Quick question, why did you pull the axle shafts as opposed to either pulling the driveshafts or doing nothing? Seems like you are signed up for wheel bearing service now because road grit undoubtably got in the grease and bearings.

Well,it is simpler to remove the axle shafts and given the rear wheel bearings have outer grease seals,dunno why they would get road grit in the grease/bearings there.

It does not show in the pics(I had already removed em),but i have a set of blank front outer hubs(no splines) that were in place on the way home.

It's less resistance without the diffs turning all the way home,plus given the minimal time allowed on base,didn't have time to check diff oil levels.I really don't like to flat tow a truck with the driveshafts turning the transfer,just in case.

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Well,it is simpler to remove the axle shafts and given the rear wheel bearings have outer grease seals,dunno why they would get road grit in the grease/bearings there.

It does not show in the pics(I had already removed em),but i have a set of blank front outer hubs(no splines) that were in place on the way home.

It's less resistance without the diffs turning all the way home,plus given the minimal time allowed on base,didn't have time to check diff oil levels.I really don't like to flat tow a truck with the driveshafts turning the transfer,just in case.
You made the right call brandon, always easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks