• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 recovery from Ft Jackson

paramedic7831

Ok did I miss something? 73mph with stock tires stock everything except a diff kind of transmission. This truck has a mack engine? does the mack engine run diff trans than my m35a2 multi? I know Putting this trans in my bobbed deuce and getting 73mph can not be this easy. Whats the catch?

goldneagle

Ok did I miss something? 73mph with stock tires stock everything except a diff kind of transmission. This truck has a mack engine? does the mack engine run diff trans than my m35a2 multi? I know Putting this trans in my bobbed deuce and getting 73mph can not be this easy. Whats the catch?
The truck has the LDS multi fuel engine. He is planning on replacing it with a Mack engine. He has the MACK disease.

vtdeucedriver

Mind you all that this was a test. 2800 is higher than the 2600 limit. Don't anyone think that this is the norm for the LDS with the direct drive. I am doing over 50 at 2600 with mine and I choose not to run it at that speed. I can only imagine the handling of that tractor at that speed. With tire pressure up at 70 and no trailer, The rear end is very jumpy and in the spring, I am always cautious of road conditions.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought 2900 was redline for a LDS?

Yeah, I wouldn't want to drive one much over 50, they get pretty squirrelly. Much less stopping at that speed....

indy4x4fab

Banned
Mind you all that this was a test. 2800 is higher than the 2600 limit. Don't anyone think that this is the norm for the LDS with the direct drive. I am doing over 50 at 2600 with mine and I choose not to run it at that speed. I can only imagine the handling of that tractor at that speed. With tire pressure up at 70 and no trailer, The rear end is very jumpy and in the spring, I am always cautious of road conditions.
On my m818 70 psi up front and 50 psi in the rears she drives and rides the smoothest by far at 70 mph bob tailing, too.

AMGeneral

Well folks,I know this is an older thread,but it is the end of the story for me as far as this M52A2 is concerned.

I left this morning at 0715 hrs headed to Meadows Of Dan VA to deliver the truck to Cranetruck's place where it will be picked up in the near future by it's new owner,SS member housemover.

The trip up was uneventful,roughly 2 hrs and 45 minutes of drive time with about 20 gallons of fuel burned over roughly 140 miles,giving the 5 ton about 7 mpg with an average speed of about 57 mph.

I must say,the multi powered tractor managed Fancy Gap grade on I-77 north at 52 mph in overdrive,I actually passed a few trucks on the way up.

Maybe Bjorn will post a pic of me standing beside the truck for the last time.

Attachments

AMGeneral

Housemover going to work it?? BTW.....................Needs paint.............Wrong color :) But thats just me.
I don't know for sure Jeff,I know he mentioned 53s in our conversations over the phone,plus some kind of equipment carrier for the rear maybe.

I'm not really sure it was gonna stay a tractor,dunno.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks