• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 Steering / Drag Linkage Relay Lever Problem/Failure

JohnJuan

I got a M52A2 Tractor Truck a few months ago and I have been slowly going through all the truck maintenance. I was in the field backing to a M105, when I pulled forward I loss steering control. After I got out and investigated, I found that the upper drag link had detached from the drag link relay lever. The upper drag link did not come off the ball joint, the tapered ball joint pulled out from the relay lever. My question is how do I fix it? Obviously, I'll be going through the steering system / drag links for maintenance and lubrication. How do I fix the taper ball joint? It looks like it was just pressed in originally, there is no nut on the back like on tie rod ends. None of the tapered ball joints have nuts on the relay lever, they are smooth on the back. Luckily, this did not come apart driving down the road...

When I take the upper drag link apart, do I just take the taper ball joint to NAPA and have them match it up and have it pressed back into the relay lever? I'm not a fan of the pressed in ball joint after this failure. Should I match up a taper ball joint with a nut on the back that can be pinned? There appears to be enough room for a nut.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

I identified all the parts with the TM's. It shows the drag links for repair and maintenance but only labeled the "drag link relay lever", it doesn't state anything about taper ball joint replacement.

I'm kind of pressed for time, I was trying to finish up all the basic maintenance to pick up a trailer in SC.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats the old style power steering. I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to the late model power steering.

JohnJuan

Upgrading may be an option, but I'm unfamiliar with the different M39 series power steering types... I do see where some have been upgraded to the M809 series power steering. If I can keep it original that would be nice, as everything else is working fine.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

I have a good take off relay lever as well as the pitman arm and both drag links that are attached to them,both came off an M54 I had and parted out.

PM me if you are interested.

JohnJuan

PM sent, One of my good friends that I work with at the FD knows you! Said you were a pretty good and knowledgeable guy. I'm looking forward to meeting you.