• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 Turbo AIR TEMP

panzerwillie

Today i install a AIR TEMPERATURE gauge to monitor the inlet temp from the turbo as you can see in the picture thas with out engine running , will drive it and post a picture as i go down the road, this will tell me the difrents on the temp before and after the intercooler once i get around to build one for it
:-D
ait 003.jpg

panzerwillie

Well after driving dpwn the road in the city normal load it runs around 155 degrees to 170 degrees, air temp and on open road at 45-55 MPH it can get up to 210 degrees plus, this is empty, so it should go way higer with a trailer an loaded , the only thing i need to do is hook up the EGT to record EGT and i have all the data i need before the intercooler build up i took some vedio will try to loaded :-D
drive 007.jpg

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'd be interested in any additional info you care to offer.

Like the intake manifold pressure?

Is the engine a LDS465?

Does it have to original turbo w/waste gate?

The TM spec is 18-20 in HG, or about 9-10psi (figure 41, page #34 LDS Troubleshooting Manual). Intercooling just starts being helpful around this manifold pressure so you will be doing a lot of work for a small gain. It really helps a highly boosted engines, like commercial big rigs, or for someone(you?) hot rodding....

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:

panzerwillie

It has the stock turbo and it gets around 10lbs, probably will be a small gain but the denser the air the more you pack in the cylender which will make it more eficient, not looking for hot rodding a little more efficient air and exhaust temps;-)

panzerwillie

As far as i know its all stock the only difrent from my friends M52A2 it has the wastegated turbo with a larger compressor, his is like a LTD engine

panzerwillie

thanks for the kind words. here in south florida the ambient temp was about 96 * yesterday and no hill to see if the boost would go over 10lbs but i would figuere it would especially around 1800 RPM where it seems to have the most fuel delivery , still pushing foward with intercooler as soon as i have time :-D

panzerwillie

What type of truck you have M52A2 or M818 , the air/temp is made DAVTRON the make gauges for airplane , not sure what i paid , i bougth it 4 or 5 yeas ago 3 or 4 of them Davtron Inc. -- M307CD Digital Intercooler Gauge is very nice stuff. it can measure two points in and out of the intercooler when i install it, i have had one on my dodge cummins for 15 yeas and i can see 400 plus degrees after the turbo and 90-100 inlet at full load
post pictures of you engine if you can thxs:-D

panzerwillie

I try it you have to downloaded or just hit open then about 3 minutes depending on your internet you can play, if you want to see it over and over save it to a floder then open it
thxs :-D

yeager1

Intercoolers by themselves really don't make much power (if the turbo/fuel is left alone)just due to a slightly cooler intake air. But they do allow you to turn up the fuel (which increases boost) and still maintain a low intake air temp and low EGT. Intercool it and start crancking the fuel up! I'm interested to see how it goes

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
What type of truck you have M52A2 or M818
71'M813A1. Cummings NHC250. I have a digital thermometer in a case. I think when I get to driving I'll put it on in a temp set up and see where I'm at.

panzerwillie

Hate to desagree with you but , if you run your truck let said in a enviroment where ambient temperature is 60 * and run the truck in a ambient temperature of 95* like here in florida , you will se a difrents on performance just by the air being cooler , it allows more air to be pack in the cylender creating a stronger explosion and increasing exhaust energy, as long as you can deliver the fuel at that point the power will increase, i drive a dodge cummins and a old D300 and i build a small intercooler the 300 even on super hot days i can feel the xtra power i gain form the intercooler, and the cummins if what we call winter here 60* boy it feels like 50hp more , also not sure how in relation of this pump where there is no pressure point in the pump for fuel increase like the bosh in line, will figuere how to increase fuel delivery later however not looking for a hotrod , just more efficient truck :-D

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Intercoolers by themselves really don't make much power
That is a good point. You could even go farther and say you lose power because a cooler intake charge will lower both boost and the combustion temp. Lower combustion temp will reduce the force pushing on the piston...

The lower the EGT may in turn reduce turbine speed lowering boost even more....

You could even go farther and say less power will also take a load of the engine cooling system which may lower coolant temp a fracton of a degree or two. Heat loss to cooler cylinder walls will lower pressure ...and the push on the piston

Cooler pistons contract lowering chamber volume and static compression ratio, and blow-by increases.

The oil may get a tad cooler so viscosity and friction increases.

Darn, doesn't the connecting rod get cooler(and shorter) too...

You also have more weight so there decrease in the power to weight ratio.

Since there is more load on the tires an increase in rolling resistance...

You'd best intercool only wreckers and winch trucks. Power may be so low you'll need to tow/winch yourself home...:wink:

yeager1

I am very pro intercooler- and might do one myself someday, it's just not a- hook it up and get huge gains- kind of mod. BUT it does allow you to safely push the envolope in other ways, like turning up the fuel pump.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
A big factor in manifold air temp is how efficient the compressor is.

Anyone have a 'C" or "D" or LDS compressor map?
Coolant temp is also a factor.

Here is a temperature/press chart. The press ratio is compressor-outlet absolute pressure divided by comp inlet absolute pressure. Absolute pressure is that over a vacuum.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks