• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M530C to Cargo

gmayor

Was under the deuce fire truck today looking at what I need to do to take the Fire Stuff off the truck and turn it into a cargo or tractor. Its a 1973 and has never had carc paint. Sanding down the red a fire department painted it, it appears the red is the second coat of paint this truck has had. Great sheet metal with just surface rust, so thinking will make a great truck. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions about doing this and are there any problems like pulling the PTO off the transfer that I will need to order parts for etc.
Is it best to take apart piece by piece or try to lift everything off. I don't have anything to lift it, so leaning on piece by piece.

Attachments

54reo

Um...

Perhaps finding someone to trade the 530C for a cargo would be line of attack on this project.

Those fire trucks are relatively rare, and a few people do collect them. Yours looks to be in great condition.

While I am not trying to tell you what to do (it is your truck), I'm just looking at the amount of work ahead of you to change a more desirable platform into a common one. Especially since you said you don't have a means of easily (i.e. lifting in it's entirety) removing the bed, it would be a shame to see it get cut.

To answer your question though, the transfer PTO is easily replaced with a plate. I have one if you are interested. I would also be interested in the PTO if you are going to go that route.

Good luck with your project!

p.s. what town do you live in, as you may not be too far away from me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have to take the body and pump assy off as seperate units. As far as the PTO, you will need the cover to cover the port and a drain plug for the transfer case. You could leave the PTO in place but getting it off at a later day won't be fun. After you remove the PTO there is half a dog clutch that needs to be removed. It either has a bolt right through the center or a set screw through the outside of it. Once that is off, bolt on a cover and off you go.

Cooltex24

PLEASE DON"T DO IT. if you do, I will at least save the bed and all fire equipment from you. Please let me know. and save the fire truck.
Scott

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job with the painting. The sheet metal looks good and the paint is coming out well.
You can, of course, do whatever you want; it is your truck. I, too, believe that you have a rather rare truck that is made even rarer by its completeness and good condition. Whoever had it last did not even steal the caps off the inlets and discharges!

You should be able to restore this one with moderate effort or maybe just repaint it, and then sell it to someone who has been drooling for an unmolested 530C fire truck for years. This would give you enough coin in return to purchase a super clean M35A2 and outfit it with all the bells and whistles that you desire!

nattieleather

I agree with the above statements. It's your truck and you can do what you want with it, but I would trade it to someone for a regular cargo truck. As stated these trucks are very rare and should be restored when they can be. Just adding food for thought.

FreightTrain

Banned
uhhhh.If you really want a cargo....Hold off and I will find one on GL buy it,Bring it home,service it and figure out how to get the trucks swapped!DO NOT DISTROY A RARE VEHICLE TO MAKE A COMMON ONE!This is like taking a COPO Camaro and making a RS car.

gmayor

I'm still working on the truck (front) part. I need to get some photos of the inside of the cab and post them. It came out really nice cleaning and painting it. Data plates were in very good condition and the floor, dash, doors etc. came out great. Still had the orignal paint from the factory on the inside. So this was only the second coat of paint it had seen inside the cab. The paint from Alan H. matches the stuff under the data plates great. I need to sell the truck though, don't have room. Just picked up a 1987 M35A2C drove it back 372 miles, runs nice.I'll keep working on the fire truck till its sold. I'll list it again on SS, last time I wasn't asking that much, gone up just a little with work I'm putting in. I must say I was only looking at changing it because it didn't sell and thought it might if it was a cargo or tractor. So I heard ya guys, I finish the truck part beofre I do anythin to the back. I yeild to the pressure.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, FT isn't right alot of the time so that should tell you something!:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks