• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 Bobed ready to roll

sidewinder

vtach said:
That is one of the best rigs that I have seen, great job! Is it for sale? :)
I am trying to enjoy it for now. I have some wondering problems and I am going to adjust front end toe to get it going. The next thing will be a air seat. Im not as small as the seat was designed for and bounces around a bit.
Rob ... _._

55Cameo

sidewinder, please let me know what you do to correct the wandering problem. I have the same tires and the same problem with my bobbed m35a2. I have added about 3 degrees of +caster and have the toe in 1/4 in. and it still wanders somewhat.

sidewinder

55Cameo said:
sidewinder, please let me know what you do to correct the wandering problem. I have the same tires and the same problem with my bobbed m35a2. I have added about 3 degrees of +caster and have the toe in 1/4 in. and it still wanders somewhat.

I have been researching some posts from SS contributors in forum Deuce modifying and HOT roding section Here some have had problems. I do not know what my caster is and do not have tools to measure it. I was going to use a leveling protractor square and figure it out.
What did you use to measure

I do not think from what you have 3+ deg caster is not enough 7+ is were you might need to be and I believe you have power steering. Not personal experience but results from others
Check out some of these links.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=17627&highlight=caster+angle
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19923
"Check out Trango post March 16 he is using 8deg and its wonders much less so stated,you were in that post. What have you tried or has not worked yet"

Im still open for suggestions Guys chime in What Say You?

ROB ... _._

55Cameo

I have a digital level that I used to check the caster before and after milling the wedge blocks. I took off some material from the wedges instead of flipping them. Thinking that 7 or 8 degrees would be too much. I think that I am goiing to try flipping them now which should give me about 6 degrees or so and see how that does. With the hydraulic steering I don't have to worry about the steering wheel taking body parts off on return to center like some do with manual steering if there is too much caster.
Have you tried more toe-in yet?
Wandering did lessen when I put more caster into it, so maybe it will help again.

sidewinder

55Cameo said:
I have a digital level that I used to check the caster before and after milling the wedge blocks. I took off some material from the wedges instead of flipping them. Thinking that 7 or 8 degrees would be too much. I think that I am going to try flipping them now which should give me about 6 degrees or so and see how that does. With the hydraulic steering I don't have to worry about the steering wheel taking body parts off on return to center like some do with manual steering if there is too much caster.
Have you tried more toe-in yet?
Wandering did lessen when I put more caster into it, so maybe it will help again.
Ive been checking things reading manuals and will do some front end tightening , knuckles, rods and Toe in 1/4"then try it out before I take plate off axle housing and machine the spring mounting plate into a wedge, which on a 5 ton is a plate not a wedge.
Ill keep you posted.
Rob ... _._

Ironclad

..ya can't help but luv the look of a Bobbed M54 (or M52) sitting atop XZLs :wink:

Keep us in the loop on the "wandering" problem please. My truck likes to do the same thing. Not all of the time but it seems always at the most interesting of times...

I like those braces, too. My fender cracked right where the rearward brace is located.