• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 fuel pump over fuelling

Dave Wigham

Firstly,
its a long time since I was here last so Hello to all, Happy Christmas/New Year/Thanks giving etc and birthday for all those things I've missed.

Anyway, I've had for a long time a pair of M54s on 1400X20s, one has sat in the barn since I got it. Now that I've started to take her out I see she is seriously smoky so I'm thinking of trying to turn the pump down so it delivers less fuel.
I can't find any hints in my TMs especially TM9-2815-210-34.
I suspect the previous dealer owner may have turned to pump up.
The timing is spot (line) on with the front cylinder rockers both loose.

I seem to remember it's the little nut on the front of the density compensator and it must only be turned one flat at a time but which way?
many thanks,
Dave.

acetomatoco

Gee Dave, on a M54 all you have to do is turn the idle mixture screws in the carb to set the fuel mixture, the high speed jets are fixed.. But I imagine you must be talking of Multifuel engines of the LDS variety in M54A2s although some M54s were converted to MF by NG and AR outfits....Those engines smoke a lot until they are hot and working hard...There is a wonderful book on setting up those pumps somewhere in the system.. Called "trouble shooting manual...LDS-465-1 Multifuel Engine... I would imagine you could get one from Portrayal Press.

Dave Wigham

Woops, sorry, should have said, M54/A2. Say does turning the pump down have much affect on smoke out put?
Cheers,
dave

Dave Wigham

Many thanks for the pointing me in the right direction. I turned the pump back down 1 complete 365 degrees before it made any appreciable difference, still pulls great but now far less smoke. The previous owner had obviuosly gone overboard!
Cheers,
Dave