• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 non winch power steering ??

maverick

This may seam a strange question buy how easy should the steering wheel be to turn on a M54 without winch if the power steering is working correctly??? Stationary and on the move ??

I've never driven another 5 ton to see if there is a diffrence as there isnt that many M54 here in England

I'm not sure if mine is working ok or if its normal for a truck built in 68?? A friends M62 pertol wrecker has had a new power steering pump fitted but because its a heavy lump anyway its always going to be that heavier on the steering.

I know tyre pressure will make a diffrence but would a winch ????

Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It should take almost no effort. When I got my wrecker, the power steering pump was out. I could make left turns ok going left since I had a lane to cross. Right hand turns SUCKED AZZ. Is this a multi or cummins? The multi is a pain cause you have to pull the radiator to do it. Those little hoses tucked in are no picnic either. Good luck.

donttreadonmebmg

My M52A2 takes a small amount of effort at first then gets real easy. So at first it's a little stiff then it's like normal Power steering once it's turning. Even while going down the road if I need to go right in my own lane to maintain my lane it's stiff then gets easy then to bring it back it's the same way, stiff then easy, it's a little different than a normal car or truck.
at least that's the way mine is I was told it's how they work.
good luck.:driver:

maverick

Thanks for the replys guys.

Its a Multifuel

I took the truck out today, I had to go pick up my M332 trailer from a friends yard so it was a perfect time to see what the steering was like. The trip was about 35miles in total. steering was not bad at the start of the journey but it went hard a coulpe of times going around tight bends and when i got back and went to park the truck up I had to do a bit of shunting and it was like doing it in a Deuce, bloody hardwork, steering was just hard ???

FLYWHEEL

Hi Maverick
i only know what i have read about these trucks so my info might not be correct, but i understand these trucks have a sprag clutch to engage the front drive could this be defective so that you are driving with all wheels powered thus making steering heavier?
just a long shot but you never know!!!

wdbtchr

My M51a2 w/w turns easily moving or stopped, my m54a2 didn't and it was the pump. After replacing it it steers like the dump. I think you will find the pump is gone.:roll:

I've never noticed any difference in the steering wether the sprag was engaged or not.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Steering effort

Try maintaining a few RPMs when manouvering. Going into my driveway or " winding" into the workshop I rev (if stationary) as I turn the wheel, Makes it REAL easy. My old M54 and the Kraz are deadly if you slow into a tight turn in too high a gear!, keeping the revs up (not silly revs) in an appropriate low (er) gear makes them both effortless. that's mi 2c..tho my russian bodied M54 and M62 have the later steering boxes..very nice power effect.

maverick

By the sounds of it its very likely to be the pump so thanks for the advise guys. Does anyone have a part number for the pump as I cant find one in my manuals ???

Thanks

wdbtchr

I don't have my book handy, but there several #s for the Vickers used. I did see one listed on Epay last night while surfing, it said it was off a 5 ton. Don't have any idea where in the world it was though.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks