• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 or M813 - What should I do?

HeadWizard

Let me start this by saying that I am looking to step up and buy a 5-ton to go along with my bobbed deuce (and maybe one other keeper deuce). I've been looking at 813's and so far have not made the leap.

I just got off the phone with a friend of a friend down in NC who has an M54A2 w/w that he needs to sell. Pics look pretty good, not too much rust (very little) says it runs well but does have some sort of transmission issue. Has the bows and canvas cargo top and a soft top cab cover. Has heat. Is a multifuel so burning waste oil might make it less expensive to drive than the 813?

So for those of you with experience owning / operating either one, what are your opinions. Plusses and minuses of each? How much is an M54 worth? He wants to move it pretty quickly.

Sorry, can't get the pictures to upload. Thanks for the help.

Don

No.2Diesel

If I were to choose between an M54 or an M813.....It would come down to two major things:

1) Engine

2) Looks/Style

I (emphasis on the I, its only one person's opinion) would choose the 813 due to it having the NHC250 and "better looks up front."

I always thought the old 5ton's front grill, & hood looked like a Deuce that got smacked in the face with frying pan. "Bong!" :) It's all flat up there! I like the tapered appearance of the grill & hood on the 809 series trucks as well as their tubular grill guard.

Good Luck!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i like the older 809 series flat grill that my 819 has, looks like it would stop heaver stuff, like trees, hondas, cucvs, ect. stuff the fromt bumper and winch didnt get

MotorTMan

I have both. Again , your own choice....They both have their pros and cons. The 813 has alot more power, and it seems to get better fuel mileage than my multifuel powered M54A2. Depending on what you want to do with it, are you going to haul things, or are they just for parades, casual driving? I rarely haul stuff, so basically mine are parade queens and get more than average TLC. I like my M54 better, just because of it having a little more character...It sounds great with the whistler and straight mufflerless exhaust...Its smoky....loud....turns heads. My 813 is basically stock, but the 54 has alot of add ons Ive done to it, so I have a little more pride in it. If you need power, the 813 is the obvious choice. But, for anything else, both vehicles have plentiful cheap parts, so maintenance shouldnt be an issue with either.

HeadWizard

Thanks to all who have responded. I'm doing as much research as I have time for at this point. The 54 seller is getting flaky, so that might not be an option. Am willing to wait for the right truck.

I ended up with another M35 today... doh, what was I thinking? Well, for $940 plus fees I thought it was the right move.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ok, then i like the later one, i guess it really does not matter as long as it keeps the hondas and cucvs out of the rad.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don: Make sure you check the tranny for water. I can almost guarantee there is water in the transmission if it has been sitting without a cab top for a while. Water won't hurt anything if it has only been in there for a bit...but I would not want to leave it there for years. I just drained a quart or so out of one of my M814s transmissions...it was sitting for a few months without a cab top. The rain water runs down the shifter and gets past the rubber boot and drains into the transmission.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to think you could tell the early trucks from the later M809 series trucks by the grill. You SHOULD be able to, but many have had their grills replaced/updated with the later grills.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gather the tubular grills are prone to getting water trapped inside and rusting out, on the few I have seen personally, that was the case. I imagine that is why they get swapped out?
FWIW I believe the tubular grill was Army only, and designed to be lighter. All Marine trucks reportedly had the non-tubular grills (I think that was on this site, don't recall now where I got that info).

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks