• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A1C's in Desert Storm?

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M54A1C's Mack engine has a rebuild plate from "89". I would assume that these made the trip over for Desert Storm. I'm wanting to paint it with markings from Desert Storm.

Can anyone confirm this?

One more question, when did the military start getting rid of the Mack's?

Thanks much!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M54A1C

I have a book at home printed in 1992, right after Desert Storm, with plenty of US military vehicles pictured in it, including some showing M39-series 5-tons being used in the Southwest Asian operational theater. That would include M54 cargo variants.

I would guess the military began surplussing out the Mack 5-tons way back in the 1970s, when the M809-series began replacing them. How M39-series 5-tons are STILL trickling out the military inventory system, boggles my mind. I used to think only the Soviets and the 3rd World kept old crap that long in storage, but I guess we do the same to a lesser extent.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Paint it blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Shizzlemah

Back in 98/99 when I was shopping for some surpluss green iron, I remeber seeing a LOT of trucks available in tan.

I think my M54 has a 1987 rebuild date as well.

vtdeucedriver

My M52 was a depot rebuild in 94. It was painted base coat Carc green with the 94 date stenciled on it. It was surplused from the Mass NG and I have owned it since 2004 "I think" thats when I bought it. Anyways when I painted it Semi- gloss, I was sanding through lots of desert tan. So she might have been there in 91. I do know from a friend who was with 7th trans and they did indeed have the M52's there, he showed me the pics. So I am sure that some M54's were there.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, thanks guys. It is amazing how some of these jewels :wink: are still trickling out. And given what Mike said about getting rid of Mack's in the 70's, it's even more amazing that ENDT's were still being rebuilt in 89. I don't know when the engine was actually installed.

Even though it looks like faded Strata Blue, I think it's something else, maybe battleship grey. It came from Hill AFB but has an Idaho license plate on the back. Hmmm... :?: :?:

I haven't been able to tell what branch of the Military this truck came from. If it is a very faded Strata Blue, then I will absolutely repaint in to Strata. It would look GOOOD in blue. It it's not AF, I don't want to do an impersonation

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
Yea I would pick whatever color floats your boat! I to just bought 4 5tons and am wonder what goodies lie under the hood 3 are M54s and the other is a M818! Do with yours how you want at least you can tell by the tags that your truck has got around!

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, I am planning on doing up my M52A2 as a sister truck to yours. I've obtained the correct yellow headlight and old style tail, blackout & front lights for it as well. Hopefully this spring I can get started. I'm leaning toward Desert Storm for the M54 with the inverted V on each side. Kind of the M54's last hurrah. I also want to honor the Desert Storm Vets with it.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jef, thanks for the offer. I will get in touch with you about it.

Hey Charles, can you bring those pictures to Thursday's meeting? I'd really like to see them. Can you post them here?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I would suggest taking the panel off the inside of one of the doors - that would likely reveal a small patch of the original color of the truck (assuming the doors are original.

HTH,
David

ida34

Re: RE: M54A1C

maddawg308 said:
I used to think only the Soviets and the 3rd World kept old crap that long in storage, but I guess we do the same to a lesser extent.
The military has much more stockpiled then you would expect. In the early 90's were were shooting 155mm powder bags from WWII and the Korean War. This means they never even got around to shooting the Vietnam era stuff. When in the States we used the oldest stuff first. Fort Campbell had quite a stockpile of ordinance. I was assigned to post guard one time and one of the duties was to maintain security over the Ammo Supply Bunker area. The powder was pellets like rabbit food in cotton bags. The bags were held together with cotton straps attached to the bottom charge. We just pulled out so many bags to make a certain charge to fire. At any rate, one lot we used was dated from 1944 and when I went to pull the bag out the cotton pulled apart. Of course, when we went to war all the ammo was brand new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks