• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A2 Alternator Removal and Troubleshooting....

pcblakeley

Well,

I am back under the hood on day 2 of ownership and it is nice to say that there was a wrench in my hand and it was really easy to remove the alternator.

The previous owner had disconnected the alternator and left the wire dangling. So I dug into it today. 5 minutes into it and the heaviest alternator I have ever felt was in my hands. I would hate to have that thing swing down and smash my hand!

So, with 3 wrenches 5/8", 3/4'' and a 9/16" I got it all done.....and these are the results.... What looks to be a shorted out connector at the back of the alternator.

From what I can read on the data plate on the massive magnetic wonder is that it was rebuilt in 1997.... I have my fingers crossed that it is still operational and that corrosion caused it to go defunct.

I will be dropping it off at the alternator shop to get a diagnosis on it....I wonder if they will add $100.00 because it is painted in CARC...

What do you guys think the course of action should be? Replacement or reconditioning.....

The last shot is a picture of the engine bay....there is nothing I like more than being able to sit in the engine compartment and work on the truck.

I shot 2 cans of degreaser on the truck's engine bay, master cylinder and transmission so that eventually it will be as grease free as it can be.

Let's hope the alternator shop dosen't gouge me tomorrow for the repair...I wonder if Auto Zone would be able to test a 24 volt alternator?

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
Generator, not alternator ( there is a difference ). Good luck with trying to find a shop that can rebuild it. Around here in Memphis we havent found a shop yet. Maybe better luck at your area. Converting over to a alternator off a deuce or 800 series 5ton might be your easist bet. You would get rid of the voltage regulator off the fire wall in the process and you will either need to salvage the wiring harness ( super easy deal its on connector plugs into the other end of the voltage regulator harness once the box is gone, then a wire goes to the power on switch ) when you get a alternator or get one from a surplus dealer or ebay. As for buying a new one ( Memphis Equipment has em ) they are out there nut not cheap ( both alt and gen not cheap ) so there ya have it. If parts are out there and you think you can rebuild it yourself, someone on here will chime in and square you away. Good luck!

Alredneck

Banned
Hmm, I figured more folks woulda chimed in by now. Maybe there isnt anybody that rebuilds these things. I was hoping to get that info as well since I have about a half dozen waiting for a rebuild. Also these trucks are slowly on the decline so what few parts out there that work will be worth bunches but makes it harder on the lil guy to keep his truck going.

pcblakeley

So true...I just came across a killer company in Monroe Michigan that sells a replacement kit that looks more like a standard alternator....vice the generator.

Look up Wolverine Technologies LLC, it seems like a sweet set up and to boot they are close to my house!

I dropped the generator off to a local shop and they have an old military buff there that said he could rebuild it....but for 200.00 I could get one of these new kits....

Hopefully it is cheaper to get the old one repaired to keep the stock set up but that new kit I came across looks really slick.... and modern.