• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A2 in WA needs IP before getting impounded

joshjourdan

Hey Everyone

I've been a lurker for quite awhile learning as much as I could and doing searches regarding just about everything. I have learned a lot from you guys! Anyways, here's the skinny:

2 weeks ago IP let go. ZERO fuel to the injectors, but fuel to the IP via the in-tank pump. My guess from reading on here would be seized plunger. I have not torn the IP apart yet because I don't think honing out would be the right fix and quite frankly all those little parts scare me. I would like to just replace the IP per the TMs troubleshooting chart, but I haven't found one at this point for less than 1000.

Now, to top things off, the local lawdogs are telling me it must be operational and used/moved every 24hrs to be parked on the street and I have no place else to put it. They have already 24hr stickered it once. It's only a matter of time before they catch me with a tow strap attached to my suburban moving it a little forward or back.

Anyone have an ideas? I would even throw an LDT pump on there if it meant not getting the thing towed. I can't even fathom how much they would charge at impound.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

joshjourdan

Just talked to GimpyRobb and I will be doing more troubleshooting of the hydraulic head in the AM. Truck just shut off going down the road when it died, so I'll be messing with the plunger stuff in the HH.
I hadn't even though of private storage, but I will look into that if I can't get it running in the next few days. Definitely cheaper than impound!

Thanks for all the help!

vtdeucedriver

Just talked to GimpyRobb and I will be doing more troubleshooting of the hydraulic head in the AM. Truck just shut off going down the road when it died, so I'll be messing with the plunger stuff in the HH.
I hadn't even though of private storage, but I will look into that if I can't get it running in the next few days. Definitely cheaper than impound!

Thanks for all the help!
Start putting penetrating oil on those injector line fittings! In case you need to remove the head, you will want them with some help.

vtdeucedriver

He has an A3, don't get too upset! Probly an honest mistake.
Yep your probably right but I dont think this M54 owner has the time to go searching for something that does not exist on his truck because someone else has not been around these trucks long enough to know the difference.
Gimpy, thank you for helping him.

Guess Im still bitter when I tried to help another 5 ton owner and his slow top speed question to have a new deuce owner saying he should do 60 and then tell me that my truck has the wrong transmission.aua

joshjourdan

Alright, after not being able to get to it for two days due to bad luck with other stuff, I went out and messed with it. The plunger is able to be pushed back down, but keeps sticking every time, so tomorrow the head is coming out. This cap on the button couldn't be causing this, could it? I thought the spring pressure should be pulling the plunger back down.

joshjourdan

I had a heck of a time getting those injector lines off! I didn't end up finishing taking it off because someone gave me an offer on the truck I couldn't refuse with as broke as I am right now. Chris, I am forwarding that info that you gave me to the guy that bought it so he can get it done and I may be helping him.

The wifey hated this truck from the beginning, and the manual trans/no heater didn't help. I think I'll be getting one of those fresh off the auction M925s when I can save up enough. I've driven my FD M925 water tender a bit and definitely think that its the truck for me. The significant other likes the ABS and auto trans of the newer trucks and they are closer to the fire engine she drives, so its a win-win for both of us.

Thank you guys so much for the help, especially Chris! My first military vehicle experience was so much better with everyones help and just the lurking alone was a vast knowledge base to be absorbed.

joshjourdan

I used PB Blaster the day before, so I figured that would work. I will suggest to them that they use oil. I don't believe that they will bob it, they just want 53s and a winch. They are local and I can't wait to see them driving it around when it is done. They are doing exactly as I had hoped to do with it. Oh well.

Thanks again yall for all the help.